Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Crunchy rock tone

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Bardolph, Mar 15, 2004.

1. Bardolph

Bardolph

Jul 28, 2002
    Grand Rapids, MI
    I'm playing a 55-01 skyline through a GK 210 combo and a hartke 2.5 XL which sounds great, but when I'm playing rock with two guitarists it gets a little hard to cut through. I find that boosting the mids helps cut through, but then I lose that scooped edgy tone I like and the 10 inch speakers can get a little muddy with excess mids. Is there some kind of relatively cheap pedal that can get me a cutting edgy tone without sounding muddy through my tens?

2. Slater

Slater Bye Millen! Hello?

Apr 17, 2000
    The Great Lakes State
  3. Flatwound

Flatwound Supporting Member

Sep 9, 2000
    San Diego
    I agree with the overdrive reccomendation, although I haven't tried a 250 in a long time. I have an ODB-3, which works OK for me to add a little "hair" to the sound, with the Gain knob on minimum and the Balance at about 11 o'clock. I also dial in a little bass and treble boost and I get a grinding, almost Timmy C.-ish tone with my Jazz. I'm not necessarily recommending the ODB-3 as it seems to mute the personality of some basses, but it works well on my Jazz.