Crushing Amps?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Instrument Pimp, Dec 21, 2004.

1. I'm not quite sure if this goes in the Amps section, or the Miscelaneous, so I took a gamble.
    I've heard that if you sit on your amp a lot, eventually you will crush it. Now, I've been playing bass for about four years, and I've never actually seen this happen, only heard rumors. So what I'm wondering is, is this something that actually happens, or is it just a wives tale? And are some cabs more susceptible to it than others, or what?
  2. Eric Moesle

Eric Moesle Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2001
    Columbus OH
    My fat ass has never crushed an amp . . . FWIW . . .
  3. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Staff Member Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    well, i wouldn't sit on a head or rack, but i've sat on every cabinet and combo at one time or another.

Overall, you are safe except for the occasional balsa wood or cardboard cabinet.
  4. jock

Jun 7, 2000
    Stockholm, Sweden
    Is this a joke? :eyebrow:
    It depends on how well built it is. Just common sense IMO. :meh:
  5. Waabs

Waabs Employee, Musical Instrument Retail

Aug 1, 2004
    I don't know if you will crush it but you can damage them. I had a cab with wheels and the part of the cab where the wheels were attatched was eventually pushed into the cab a little from sitting on it. I doubt unless you were incredibly heavy that you would be able to crush and amp.
  6. cb56

Jul 2, 2000
    Central Illinois
    I've heard this story about a guy in my area (from his drummer) but we're talking about a very large guy who sat on his combo amp while playing all the time.