1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Crybaby 105Q... expression pedal??

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by enjoi1018, Jul 30, 2012.

1. enjoi1018

enjoi1018 Supporting Member

Apr 18, 2011
    Auburn, AL
    Hey folks, let me first just say again that this place is frakin' awesome.

Secondly, my brainstorming/OCD is kicking me around a bit. I've got a Wonderlove en route, just shipped by beloved GR2 to fund it. I just can't wait. Like can't even begin to explain how long the next two days are going to be.

Alas, the GR2 sat next to my 105Q, which is just so perfect for spontaneously setting my big toe on and twitching as fast as I can to end a line. You know, almost fast phaser sounding "wah-wah-wah" sounds, that I (clearly) just make with my foot.

I seriously like the funkiness of the Crybaby, but I want a WonderWah. I've asked Spencer about adding a switch to my Wonderlove to have the ability to leave the expression pedal plugged in, but having the switch control the electrical connection to the envelope detector. That way you could switch from Wonderlove to Wonderwah without bending down and, in my case, unvelcroing some pedals so you have enough room to get that huge 1/4" plug out. He said it's definitely possible, but he's just too busy to approach it right now. I can wait. :)

Back to the pedal. The two important aspects of the 105Q are: 1) it's ability to start from the low and sweep to the high end, as it's bypass isn't a switch locate under the toe (like most wahs), but rather switched with the initial "toeward" movement of the pedal, and 2) the AWESOME SPRING which makes for pulses of quick wahs that can't be done with a Roland EV-5 or an Ernie Volume JR.

The bypass switching is the boobies, but the actual bypass is the blackness of hell horrendous. Go away forever; never return (said in Bane's voice)!

SO! Is is possible to make a spring loaded expression pedal, in either a 105Q housing, or spring loading another wah for these pulse bursts? Maybe Jeff Moote can help me.....?

As always, this place is fruggin' frawesome. Cheers peeps!

2. enjoi1018

Apr 18, 2011
    Auburn, AL
    morning bump!

3. enjoi1018

Apr 18, 2011
    Auburn, AL
    bump!

4. bludog

bludog Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2012
    Brooklyn 11217
    So, I think I may have something here... this does not solve all of your issues but should address one: Spring Loaded Expression Pedal.

Mission Engineering (great stuff) has an option to add a springloaded mechanism to their expression pedals. I'm not sure if it only engages when the spring is triggered (like the 105q) or if you still need to step down on the switch to engage it. I think the former but never used it... [DEL]look in to that further[/DEL] (see EDIT below).

Here is the link to Mission's general Expression Pedal page:
    http://missionengineering.com/product-category/expression-pedals/

Here is the link to the Spring Option:
    http://missionengineering.com/shop/spring-load-option/

You might also want to consider this version of their expression pedal as you can set it so that you engage the Wonderlove by engaging the wah switch, like an expression pedal with a built in effects loop (kind of). Then you could leave the Wonderlove on so that you only need to turn on the expression to turn on the whole effect. Would be useful if the spring does not engage the expression pedal automatically: http://missionengineering.com/shop/sp-1/

When I saw this post I thought it was a good idea but not sure how you'd do it. Then I remembered this stuff from Mission. Not the perfect fix but I feel like there is something here that could be useful. Who knows, with a mod or two you might be able to get it to do exactly what you need. If anyone else has more insight on Mission and these products or other solutions, please chime in here.

I know this isn't exaclty what you asked for but interesting info nonetheless and helpful for anyone looking to beef up the Wonder Wah concept. Best of luck!

PS- still need Spencer to add a switch to disengage the expression jack without removing the 1/4" connector. Totally genius if possible. Spencer?

EDIT: found this on their FAQ