Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Crybaby not... crying enough

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Matt Till, Jan 2, 2006.

1. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    I got a crybaby bass wah from Santa used on Ebay. It's pretty awesome... but... it's kind of weak with distortion. If you put a distortion before it, you can barely hear the distortion. But if you put a distortion after, it sounds pretty bad. It distorts all wahed frequences taking away from the individuality of the wahed tones.

Is there any way to combat this? Or is there no way of using this to get the... pardon the stereotype but... Cliff Burton sound.

2. slapcracklepop

slapcracklepop

Jun 28, 2005
    Boston, MA
    You'll get a better Cliff sound with a morley wah. That's all I can give ya. Maybe someone else will help

3. Dash Rantic

Dash Rantic

Nov 12, 2005
    Palo Alto, CA
    Distortion before wah sounds a lot beter, IMO. Are you sure you have the volume/Q-control settings in a decent position?

If so, you also might want to check the internal trimpots. Also, what was are we talking here? 105q?

-Dash

4. uly_

uly_

Jul 4, 2005
    Denmark
    Feed it more gain mate! ;) or well.. fuzz/overdrive/distortion before the wah as mentioned will make it not just cry, but scream!

5. IcedEarthWOM

IcedEarthWOM

Oct 2, 2005
    Make sure that you are feeding it enought high freqs.

If you have the tone (or treble on an active) knob rolled off then the wah will be trying to emphisise freq that aren't "there" and it wont sound right. So, put the tone knob full on, or put the treble somewhere between center and full on (if you have an active).

6. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA

I thought Q-control only controled the sweep (how high it went) and the volume controlled how loud thing thing was when it kicked on. I'll have to play with that some more.

I don't know what internal trimpots are... I'm a not a smart. :meh: :p

Oh and just so we are clear, it's not that my distortion isn't bad arse enough, it just completely gets buried by the wah sound.

7. BassGod

BassGod

Jan 21, 2004
    I find the same thing happens with my Crybaby. Which sucks, because it sounds awesome on it's own.

The wah just takes over, and then when you step of the pedal, the distortion sounds much better again.

Graeme

8. IcedEarthWOM

IcedEarthWOM

Oct 2, 2005
    That part you've got correct.....

Believe it or not thats what it's supposed to sound like. distortion before the wah enhances the wah sound. It shoud go from "wah" to "waaaAAA" (kinda quackish like a duck).

Putting the distortion after the wah usually doesn't sound as great unless the distortion clips the entire freq range (adds rumble and crunchyness). Then the wah can be used as a pre-dist EQ of sorts to choose between the rumble or the crunchyness.

9. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA

I wish it would do that... instead, it sounds like a faint distortion sound mixed with the sound of the wah (as it would sound clean). BassGod knows what's up.

I guess I learned a lesson... just because a wah is legendary, doesn't mean it doesn't suck.

Oh well, I can still use it clean. :(

10. Dash Rantic

Dash Rantic

Nov 12, 2005
    Palo Alto, CA
    Sounds more like you got a lemon unit. Have you heard many soundclips of distortion + wah? You prolly have, but if not, there's quite a few on this forum--find some and listen to how it sounds.

If that's not the problem, yeah, it's prolly a lemon. You should prolly try contacting Dunlop or wherever you got it to get a replacement, 'cause missing out on good wah is a bad thing.

-Dash

11. TaySte_2000

TaySte_2000

Jun 23, 2001
    Manchester, UK
    Endorsing Artist: Mojohand, Subdecay, Overwater, Matamp
    Could be a couple of issues

Firstly what distortion are you using, the Dunlop wah leaves the bass in tact and wah's the mid and treble so if you have a distortion that looses lots of bottom end all the distortion will be getting wha'd as such

Again mess around with the q control there will be a sweet spot I'm sure of it

The Crybaby 105q has always struck me as being a better funk wah then traditional guitar type wah wah (you know quacky) I have used it myself with distortion loads and it's good but not as great as some of the other wah's I've tried, the snarling dogs mold spore being the most fun so far.

If you can post a soundclip that might be more helpful and we might be able to identify where it's going wrong, but end of the day could just be that it isn't the sound for you.

Hope this helps

12. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA

YEP! This is the maaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaajor problem. I was using a Rat distortion (made for guitar) sucked HUUUUUUGE low end. I figured since it was effecting the high end, I'd want a high end distortion. I tried it with by Boss ODB-3... muuuuuuuch better. I still gotta tweak with it.

I'm trying to find a distortion that isn't too abrasive (that I can have on all the time) and when I kick in with a wah, it'll sound awesome. Now if only the ODB-3 could be awesome/non abrasive. Strangely enough, this thing seems to suck mids more than anything. But that's another problem for another day.

Thanks for the help everybody.

13. BassGod

BassGod

Jan 21, 2004
    Out of curiousity, do you set your Q knob high or low?

Graeme

14. TaySte_2000

TaySte_2000

Jun 23, 2001
    Manchester, UK
    Endorsing Artist: Mojohand, Subdecay, Overwater, Matamp
    Gotta love it when I'm right :D

15. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA

I have it set to... random.... heh. I haven't found MY setting for it just yet. This will require hours of nitpicking.