Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Crybaby Wah Range Dissapointment

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Rumzini, Aug 20, 2004.

1. Rumzini

Rumzini

Feb 14, 2004
    Jackson, MI
    I picked one up yesterday...the white one. I was hoping to use it for a few of our songs. I'm tuned to "Drop D"..and there are a few notes that are played on the detuned e string that I was hoping to get a sweep from way down low. Only the higher frequencies are effected. The low end is there but not actually effected...I've played with the volume and the Q setting to no avail. At this point I'm ready to take it back to the store. Does anyone have any suggestions???
    I really need that low end to be effected as well to make the songs work the way I would like.

2. mgmadian

mgmadian

Feb 4, 2002
    Austin, TX
    Depending on your point of view, that's either an advantage or disadvantage of the 105Q's (the white one) design... sounds like a disadvantage for you. Yep, by design it splits the input signal and effects only the mids and highs... which is audible. The pro is that you can still sound like a bass, the con (at least to my ears) is that it can sound like 2 instruments playing in parallel. Which can be cool, but which you may not be going for.

Most other wahs, bass or not, effect the whole range (e.g. older Crybaby, Teese RMC3), and at least one (the Earthquake) seems to mix the full-range dry sound with the swept frequency range. Each approach sounds a little different... the good news for you is that, if it's full-range effect you're looking for, most other wahs should provide that.

3. Rumzini

Rumzini

Feb 14, 2004
    Jackson, MI
    I also tried a Cry Baby Bass (black pedal) and a Tech 21 Killer Whail and they were such volume killer that I unplugged them immediatly.

Since my original post I called were I got it and the guy said the Boss Vwah may be my best bet other than going boutique. Any opinions there?

4. mgmadian

mgmadian

Feb 4, 2002
    Austin, TX
    I've heard good things about the V-Wah, but only tried it briefly in a music store. I wasn't nuts about it at the time, but wouldn't be surprised if I was using it incorrectly or had the wrong setting or something...have been meaning to give it another look.

5. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    One vote for the old blue Morley Pro Series II bass wah. I really miss mine.

6. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    Greg,
    I really like my v-wah, not the easiest on / off mechanism but sounds great.

7. Rumzini

Rumzini

Feb 14, 2004
    Jackson, MI
    Well I took the Crybaby back today. While I was there I tried the Morley, Danoelectro, Tech 21, and the V Wah. Neither gave me the effect that I was looking for. So the guy got me a Boss Flanger...it was a lil more closer to what I I'm wanting. It definetly effected more of the bottom end...had more of a sweep to it than the wahs. However a really effective test wasn't available because of all the guitar wankering that was going on in the room with me. I was going through an Ampeg SVT 4 and 610 cab. It was all I could do not to turn up and drown out the 4 guys wailing there Eddie Van Halen solos. Anyways..maybe that the way I need to go or maybe a Phaser.

8. Definately my fave...I let one go and miss it too,,,I currently have an older Bass CryBaby (black one) and it does really well...I do like the fact you can leave the CryBaby at any setting along the sweep where as the Morley is spring loaded and returns to zero when you step off. (I use my wah as a tone sweep at times). But tonally, definately the Morley pro II.

9. DEVILMAN

DEVILMAN

Nov 24, 2001
    New York,NY
    ...RMC3...the best...

~S~

10. DougP

DougP

Sep 4, 2001

i was looking at these on musictoyz.com. are they really that good for bass? are they spring loaded? how are the bass freqs?

sorry for all the questions...

11. DEVILMAN

DEVILMAN

Nov 24, 2001
    New York,NY
    They are not spring loaded, I prefer them not to be, more advantages without IME.

They are, however the most adjustable & versatile wah you'll ever use/need with bass, etc.

The Hz range goes from top to bottom(all affected) & the internal dip switches let you control what sound & how quick it is applied to your signal. Total fat sub wah to screeching, screaming highs(if you desire). I use it with tunings in low "A" & sometimes low "G#", works great.

I've tried/had 'em all, still have the RMC3...

~S~

12. DougP

DougP

Sep 4, 2001
    Cool thanks for the info. i was hoping you would say they weren't spring loaded. :)

guess i will be getting the plastic out soon to order one...

13. mrpackerguy

mrpackerguy Supporting Member

Jul 3, 2004
    Madison, Wisconsin
    I have an old Morley volume-wah circa '76 and I just acquired a white newer crybaby. Pros and cons to each.

I like the wider sweep of the Morley, but it's not spring loaded. Mine's really a guitar wah, but the variation in wah is great and the low drop off doesn't bother me. It's that vintage large silver-box-of-a-thing and it looks cool.

The Dunlop is a little more practical, always bouncing back to off and with a really neat "step-on" on and "step-off" off. I really like that despite less wah range. I find it needs to be set at maximum wah, and the blend control is also neat, but I prefer my effects full bore.

I acquired the crybaby thinking i'd replace the Morley, but now I don't know. I switch back and forth from gig to gig between the two 'cause I cant decide which I like better.

Sufice to say I like them both for their own reasons.

14. mgmadian

mgmadian

Feb 4, 2002
    Austin, TX
    Blend control? My white Dunlop 105Q has 2 very small knobs placed underneath the pedal: Volume and Q. Volume is exactly that, while Q controls the freq range. Do some 105Qs also have a blend control? Don't know that I'd prefer it over a full-on effect, but I'd at least like to try it if so.

15. mrpackerguy

mrpackerguy Supporting Member

Jul 3, 2004
    Madison, Wisconsin
    The wah range control acts to me like a blend because the wah is less pronounced. The other knob is output.

Thanks for the correction.

16. bogart

bogart

Dec 11, 2003
    big bear, ca
    I took an old crybaby with the fasel inductor and modded it for a bass. Turns out theres only one capacitor different between the guitar and bass wah's. I ended up putting a lower one then comes stock in a bass wah, and it works great. Don't think I'd wanna touch one of those new wah's though.

17. Seth

Seth

Aug 24, 2004
    Im sorry to sound like a complete dufus but Im very curios. What does a pure wah pedal sound like? I mean, what does it do for your bass.

I have a effects box with a little over 30 stored affects. Its a Zoom506II. It has wah mixed with this sound and synthisizer mixed with this sound and different distortion and so on. So I dont know what "pure" wah is. :confused:

18. i tried a crybaby bass (white one) a while ago and was a little dissapointed, mainly cos it lagged when activating the pedal

19. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
  20. FX Doctor

FX Doctor

Jul 27, 2004
    Have you looking into a colorsound wah? It really has a massive sweep which should cover the whole sound spectrum that you are after.