Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Cryogenicaly treated strings

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by j3b3r, Sep 23, 2000.

1. j3b3r

j3b3r

Aug 19, 2000
    What is the advantage(s) of cyrogenicaly treated strings ??
    such as Dean Markley blue still and Adamas strings, do they last longer ???

2. nunk6

nunk6

Jul 29, 2000
    I have taken the gamble and gave over the $25 for Dean Markley cryophonicsupersonicstyleestring blue steel strings...........
    here's what i have to say WOW!
    its was worth it i took them out a the bag/box wrapper and i could feel the difference much "sharper" and seemed to be tighter wound, yet thats not what matters-
    when i put them on my bass they were bright; brightest i've ever encountered,,, and the new sound never went away; eventually i was angered by the fact that they still sounded new(i like the strings to eventually go dead and sound duller and 'warmer')
    I took them off my bass and even three months of being poorly stored(on my floor) there were still bright practically the same as when i had bought them; played with them for a week and they still wouldnt fade
    ** i play atleast 3 hours a day; and very vigorously-- and origanally had them on for about two weeks

3. cliff the 2nd

cliff the 2nd

Oct 1, 2000
    I don't know what it does, but I played on some Dean Markleys and they kicked a mountain of ass
    They have a punchy tone and are really tight, so you can keep your action high and still dig in really hard
    I highly recommend them

4. kcm

kcm

Jun 17, 2000
    Woking, Surrey.
    Do they come in double ball end?

5. Seems like marketing hype more than anything else to me. I suspect you'd get more benefit out of putting your wallet in the freezer and not spending the extra money for those strings. My experience with the Markleys was that they were TOO bright when I put them on and then went dead in a week.

6. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    C'mon, Michael, they work....because some bassists will believe anything ;)

I specified in my endorsement deal that "my" strings be manufactured at room temperature...I feel that being manufactured AND used in the same nurturing environment is beneficial to both the string and myself. You get what you pay for. Hype ain't cheap.

7. You got it, Brad. HUGGGGZZZZZ

OK, everyone outside for a Group Hurl!!

Michael

8. Christopher

Christopher

Apr 28, 2000
    New York, NY
    The cryogenic pseudoscience isn't confined to the world of bass strings. A lot of brass repair people now offer "cryogenic treatments" for trumpets, tubas etc. in the interest of improving tone. AFAIK, the only thing the cold does is make already brittle metal even weaker.