1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

CS3/Compression question!

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by TheRockinRoadie, Oct 24, 2009.

1. Hi there,

While i was making repairs to my guitar pedalboard today, i took the time to play around with a few of the pedls on bass.

I've never used a compresser on bass before, but when i plugged into a CS3, i was amazed at the difference!
    So the question is...

Is the CS3 a good compresser for bass? Or is there anything else that comes better recommended?

Cheers
    Lorry :bag:

2. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

Jul 22, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    Check the compressor mega-thread, close by.

3. Bassmike62

Bassmike62 Punch'n Ooomph !! Supporting Member

I also have the CS-3 and from what I can hear, it does a competent job, but by following the threads, seems the EBS multi-comp has an edge. I checked out their site, it sounds real good. Probably explained by the fact that the EBS is made for bass, as opposed to the CS-3, which is made for everything, including bass. I'll probably trade in my CS-3 eventually...

4. TheFantod

TheFantod #5 of the Pentaverate. Took Col. Sanders' spot.

Aug 7, 2009
    Eastern N.C.
    Can of Worms, meet opener.

Seriously, the CS-3 is okay for bass, but it is MUCH improved my modifying it, either by yourself, or sending it to someone like Mark Humphrey.

I got one cheap from GC when they had their sale, and I was pleasantly surprised at how good it sounded stock. Still, I sent it in to Humphrey Audio Mods and he made it MUCH better.

And, for the record, I did briefly pick up the EBS Mulitcomp just to A/B it with the Modified Boss. A lot of people here swear by the Multicomp so I wanted to try it out. They sounded nearly exactly the same. One wasn't any better than the other, except for one thing:
    Through my rig (Ernie Ball MM Stringray HH), the EBS was noisier. That's right, my modified Boss CS-3 was much quieter than the EBS. I'm not saying that's always going to be the case, but it was the deciding factor for me. I kept the CS-3 and returned the EBS.

My 2¢

Tim

5. Okay cheers guys

Im after something in the same price range as the CS3, so the EBS is well out of my budget, im only looking to spend max £70 on a compresser. Quite a few people are using the digitech, so i might give that a look

Lorry

6. Bassmike62

Bassmike62 Punch'n Ooomph !! Supporting Member

A TBer mentionned that he purchased the digitech after trying it with one of the shop's basses and it sounded pretty good. When he got home and plugged it with his active Lakland Bass, it sounded crappy. Might be a good idea to make sure you can exchange it if it doesn't work for you.

cheers, dude.