Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

CSL

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by MAGUS®, Feb 25, 2005.

1. MAGUS®

MAGUS®

Dec 23, 2004
    UK
    Does anybody remember these old MIJ guitars ?

I cant find anything about them , and i just picked this up for 150 of your earth dollars

[​IMG]

2. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    May want to change the wording to JAPANESE, I believe your choice of words has been deemed offensive by TB uppers.

3. MAGUS®

MAGUS®

Dec 23, 2004
    UK
    Consider it done. No disrespect intended. Its a shortened version of Japan / Japanese. Like Brit is short for British

4. PC's the way to be, G.

5. MAGUS®

MAGUS®

Dec 23, 2004
    UK
    Hey, so i'm told.

I'll try and remember to get peed off when someone refers to me as a Brit. :p

Meanwhile - CSL. Who were they, do they still exist ?

6. waveydavy

waveydavy

Feb 19, 2005
    CSL basses were made by Ibanez and were badged CSL for their then UK Importers CSL. They were if memory serves all traditional designs. I had a jazz bass back in the late 70s that was sun burst with a maple neck with painted black blocks and binding. Ended up part exchanging for a fender precision. Recently ive seen a beautiful tiger top les paull guitar badged CSL

7. MAGUS®

MAGUS®

Dec 23, 2004
    UK
    Thats great Davey, thanks. Do you think the Jazz copy above would be 70's ?? I wonder if they carried on making these into the 80's.
    I tried the usual net searches, but the info was so thin it wasnt worth repeating

8. HeavyDuty

HeavyDuty Supporting Curmudgeon Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    Actually, it's an aftereffect of WW2 anti-Japanese propaganda in the US when the government detained many, many US citizens of Japanese extraction. "MIJ" has a distinctly different meaning here, and to many is as offensive as “******”.

It really isn’t an issue of PC at all. I’m about the least PC person you’d ever meet.

9. MAGUS®

MAGUS®

Dec 23, 2004
    UK
    Me neither Heavy, though i wouldnt want to offend anybody deliberately.
    It was Davidoc who mentioned "PC" , not me :)

10. HeavyDuty

HeavyDuty Supporting Curmudgeon Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    Sorry - I wasn't trying to single anyone out. And sorry for the partial thread hijack! :D

11. MAGUS®

MAGUS®

Dec 23, 2004
    UK
    No probs pal - wavy has given the biggest shocker in that its a CSL badged Ibanzez, its just that if you Google for info, very little comes up.
    I remember CSL from the 70's when a seriously good leccy guitarist pal had a CSL strat and a Gold Top Les Paul. They were both awesome and great build quality, but where are CSL now ?

They were even a UK company it seems, and who knows if they're still trading

12. jim primate

jim primate bass guitarist.

you're at least the 3rd tb'er to eyeball that csl jazz on ebay. me and jedi both drooled for a moment or two.

13. Yea, I was being totally sarcastic, and my view on the subject is that people need to lighten up on the basis that the term "MIJ" here was being used as a legitimate abreviation for "Japanese", and not the WW2-era racial slur.

14. MAGUS®

MAGUS®

Dec 23, 2004
    UK
    That was my angle too Davidoc - thank you :D

Funnily enough Jim, i'm not a big fender fan, but it was so cheap i couldnt pass it up. Wonder if it plays like it looks