Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

CSNY

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by Jiles, Jun 22, 2003.

1. Jiles

Jiles Banned

Nov 28, 2001
    Crosby, Stills, and Nash (and sometimes Young) had some pretty amazing bassists on their albums. What do you guys think? I know Stephen Stills played bass on a few tunes. I think perhaps Dallas Taylor did (but I am not sure). They have the killa bass.

2. corinpills

corinpills

Nov 19, 2000
    Boston, MA
    Dallas Taylor was their drummer. I believe most of the bass stuff (at least on their early albums) was Stills. I've read of him having this magic '58 P-Bass with the original flatwounds or some such insanity. A lot of people sort of reckon that the other members of CSNY have been less than thriled with Steven Stills' tendancy to over dub gobs of his playing on all their tracks. By all accounts, he's got quite the ego.

It's weird, I love the Byrds, absolutely adore the Hollies and have a lot fo time for Neil Young's albums, but CSNY just grosses me out. I just hear cocaine and Porches in their voices or something.

3. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    Gregg Reeves was on Deja Vu...not sure who played bass on CS&N's debut record.
    Calvin "Fuzzy" Samuels was on Four Way Street & was also a member of Stills' Manasas ensemble.

Both are pretty cool, IMO.

4. Jiles

Jiles Banned

Nov 28, 2001
    Yeah, but all those guys played 2nd fiddle to someone else in their previous bands. This was a case of the JV stepping up to the plate and hitting a homerun!

I think Gram Parsons would've made a great collaboarator with these guys.

Crosby, Stills, Nash, Young, and Parsons...lol

5. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    Josh-
    I just picked up Manasas from BMG.
    Cool stuff; Bill Wyman said he woulda quit the Stones to join Manasas full-time.
    ;)

6. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

It is Stills playing bass - I really like this album and play it a lot on CD, since it was re-mastered - I appreciate it more now, than when it first came out and sounded "wimpy",to me - now it sounds like great 'acoustic' musiC.

Stills play some nice bass lines, which fit very well with the acoustic guitars - like on Suite Judy Blue Eyes - interesting, as it is not straight rock stuff and is sort of 'unclassifiable' - I think it would be called "World Music" if I heard a new band playing some of this stuff now!! ;)

7. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    Bruce-
    It's Stills on bass?!
    ...source of that info, please? ;)

I do agree with you on how well Deja Vu holds up today; truth be told, I just picked that disc up within the past 6 months for the first time.
    Acoustic, yes...though there is also that tinge of '60s psychedelia present.

8. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

I meant on their first record (CS&N)- you said you weren't sure who played bass - my CD (newly digitally remastered from the original master tapes!) says "Lead Guitar, Organ and Bass : Stephen Stills" - Rhythm guitar : David Crosby, with Dallas Taylor on Drums.

Hence my ref to "Site Judy Blue Eyes"!! ;)

9. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    What can I say...it was a little early here(i.e. before my 2nd cup of coffee).