CTS 250K replacement volume and tone Q

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by sonicninja, Jul 26, 2009.

1. sonicninja

sonicninja

Jul 19, 2009
    Hi everyone,
    Both my control and tone controls have gone very crackly with old age so i decided to replace them. I bought two CTS 250K replacements to fit into my bass, unfortunately the screw part of the shaft is larger than the poor quality originals. Anyone got any good tips on making this hole larger with a drill and if its a good idea?

Should i drill from the top against the lacquer or from the electronics bay underneath?

Any help would be great.
    Thanks!!

Sonicninja

2. BigDaveyTwinkle

BigDaveyTwinkle

Aug 30, 2008
    KCMO
    Assuming you have a jazz bass style control plate, remove plate, remove nuts that hold pots on plate, place "unloaded" control plate in a padded vise, drill or file hole larger to match CTS shaft diameter. Reinstall. Not much to it, really.

Addendum: I drilled from the underside and would recommend the job as worthwhile as the CTS pots are quality.

3. sonicninja

sonicninja

Jul 19, 2009
    thanks for the reply. The bass is a Spector and Im going to be drilling through the wood itself. Sorry, i didnt make that clear.

Thanks

4. Nighttrain1127

Nighttrain1127 Supporting Member

Nov 27, 2004
    Near Worcester MA
    Drill from the top the wood may splinter when the drill comes through and it would be hidden if it is inside the control cavity and as long as you don'y miss with the drill there is little other damage to worry about.

5. walterw

walterw Supportive Fender Commercial User

Feb 20, 2009
    alpha-music.com
    i would skip the drill entirely and use one of these, it's both easier and less risky.
    720.jpg
    two or three twists of the wrist with a tapered hand-reamer and you're there.

6. Suresh

Suresh

Apr 15, 2007
    i would skip the drill entirely and use one of these, it's both easier and less risky.

walter,Good idea!
    I think I ll go find one too. Might be useful someday.
    robert