1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

CTS pots for Jazz with Quarter pounder upgrade

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Billy K, Mar 13, 2013.

1. Billy K

Billy K

Nov 5, 2009
    North Bay Marin
    I just ordered a set of Duncan Quarter pounders and I guess I should take the Squier pots out and start new.Or do you guys think the Squier pots are ok? I guess I need to know which pot for volume and tone.and orange drop. so I can order. and who do you guys recommend to buy pots from.I have seen somewhere that the whole harness all wired is available. thoughts on that too.thanks ahead of time.

2. braud357

braud357 Supporting Member

Jul 1, 2010
    Gonzales, LA
    I did just the opposite - I changed to the CTS pots and a Sprague "orange drop", but kept the stock pick-ups. A lot of people say that changing the pots is a waste of money, but I disagree. The tone of my Squier Standard Jazz really opened up with the change, and the tone control actually worked ! It seemed to be inoperative before - the change was so slight.

3. 250 K pots, and any .047 cap. Don't waste money on orange drop.

4. georgestrings

georgestrings Banned

Nov 5, 2005

Yeah, IME the pots and jack are usually the weakest electronic link on most Squiers and even some MIM Fenders...

Agreed 100%...

- georgestrings

5. seang15

seang15

Aug 28, 2008
    Cary NC
    This.

6. CSEbass

CSEbass

Feb 11, 2013
    Tampa
    250k Volume - 250k Tone. You can experiment with different capacitors. Commonly folks use a .047 cap. Doesn't mean that you have to though. Sprague Orange drop is a nice cap, but somewhat bulky in size, not that this matters.

Any ceramic disc, polyester film, or paper/oil cap would be fine. Your Squire most likely had a ceramic disc. When it comes to capacitors, a high value cap will bleed off more treble as you turn down the tone, and a low value will not bleed off as much.

7. Im a sock

Im a sock

Dec 23, 2002
    Central MA
    *shrug* maybe it's me, but if you're spending a Benjamin on new pickups, may as well spend the extra few bucks (literally, few bucks)

8. SGD Lutherie

SGD Lutherie Banned Commercial User

Aug 21, 2008
    Bloomfield, NJ
    Owner, SGD Music Products
    But for what reason? You like the color orange? You won't see the cap and it's not any better than any other cap when used in a passive tone control circuit.

Just stick some dollar bills inside the control cavity then. ;) it will make the same difference in the tone.

I use these. They are better quality caps and are cheap (like 60 cents):

capacitors.

They also take up less room in the control cavity.

Better pots makes sense because they are mechanical devices and have a finite lifespan. Also the pots won't change the tone unless the resistance is different. With Quarter Pounders, if you want a brighter tone, use 500K pots.

9. Most people don't actually understand the role that the cap plays in this application. The important point is that the cap isn't in the signal path. It's parallel to it, and serves to bleed highs to ground. This means that the signal that does pass through the cap is never amplified and heard-it is thrown away. The part that DOESN'T pass through the cap is what you hear.
    This is why we say it doesn't matter.
    But do as you wish-no biggie.

10. CSEbass

CSEbass

Feb 11, 2013
    Tampa
    Above makes sense. Pots have a limited lifespan and vary in many aspects. Not just the resistance value, also the tolerance which applies to the element on the wiper.
    As does experimenting with Cap values. Not to the extent that one is a dead on for your needs. Solder in whatever caps you want and draw your own comparison. Not an expensive part so much experimentation can be had. Hell try a DIY Varitone even.