CTS Pots issue nothing fits!!

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by RockinBass85, Mar 18, 2017.

Tags:
  1. RockinBass85

RockinBass85

Jan 17, 2014
    I tried searching but couldn't really find anything.

I recently received a p bass wiring harness kit Fromm Art of Tone on eBay. They fit nicely into my Squier VM P Bass V. I was surprised to find I didn't need to route the control cavity in order for them to fit, nor did I have to drill out the pickguard for the shafts to pass through. Quite a painless installation today.

IMG_0012.JPG IMG_0013.JPG IMG_0014.JPG IMG_0015.JPG

CTS 250K 450G solid shaft pots, Russian PIO cap, pushback cloth wire. Was also surprised to find the stock pickup also has pushback cloth wire though it was of lesser quality IMO. It was a pain to hold the cloth back while soldering and I ended up having to strip it which wasn't easy either.

I ran into one issue I couldn't resolve. I own no knobs that can fit these pots. I've tried 5 different sets of knobs and nothing fits. Any ideas?

2. mech

mech In Memoriam

Jun 20, 2008
    Meridian, MS, USA
    CTS solid shafts are 1/4" in diameter and require a set screw knob. Most import solid shaft pots/knobs have 6mm shafts so the hole is too small for the CTS solid shaft (6mm = .238", 1/4" =.250"). I drill the hole out in metric knobs to 1/4" for the CTS size shaft if there are particular ones I want to use.

3. RockinBass85

RockinBass85

Jan 17, 2014
    Most of the knobs I have are set screw but I guess none are 1/4". I think I'll save myself the money and drill out the stickers. Thanks man!

Last edited: Mar 18, 2017
    mech likes this.
  4. Cadfael

Cadfael

Jan 4, 2013
    Germany, EU
    Japan and Europe use "mm" since Napolen (179X-1815 - Warterloo) ...
    America and the UK use inches since King John (???) ...

So, German and Japanese pots normally have 6 mm while US pots (CTS) have 6.35 mm (1/4") ...

We share the same problem - as most Europeans (except UK) have problems with the inch system (very funny with threaded pipes!!!) and these 3/16, 57/128 while UK and USA have problems with the metric system ...
    (But 100x100x100 mm box of water is 1 kg and so 1x1x1 m is 1 metric ton ...)

Even the toothing/cogging (sorry, no native speaker) is a problem between Europe and the US ...
    If original Fender pots don't work, use "cheap" Euro/Japan 6 mm imports ...
    But Squier has these 6mm pots and knobs! So, your CTS are/should be 6.35 mm ...

5. Growlmonkee

Growlmonkee

Jan 30, 2013
    Florida, U.S.
    For cloth wiring, (next time), you can use small alligator clips to hold back the insulation. I've drilled out metal set screw knobs to fit larger shaft pots, it's an option if the knobs are not valuable, the holes only need be slightly larger.

RockinBass85 likes this.
  6. BassLife77

BassLife77

Nov 13, 2009
    San Diego
    whats with the obsession with cloth wire? I just use the wire ripped from an old mouse. no difference in sound quality

7. RockinBass85

RockinBass85

Jan 17, 2014
    No obsession. The pups in my bass had them. I was commenting that they were difficult to work with; the cloth insulation proved difficult to hold back. I don't mind the wires because my experience with them has been that they're easier to work with. The entire length comes covered in solder, and they're normally easier to "strip".

8. I just went through the exact same dilemma.

I just ended up buying a set of 1/4" knobs and lining up the set screw on the split in the shaft. Obviously, you don't go animal when tightening the screws. Just enough to secure them.

9. RockinBass85

RockinBass85

Jan 17, 2014
    I have put set screw knobs on split shaft pots before. I'd always aim for the solid sides and tighten it hand tight. Never had issues. With this, it's different. The pot shafts are bigger so your average knob wouldn't fit, I ended up ordering 1/4" flat top knobs to replace the stock knobs.