1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

CTS pots too large to fit into my pickguard

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by dawncobra, Aug 21, 2007.

1. dawncobra

dawncobra

Jul 3, 2007
    Hi,
    i've just bought CTS pots SOLID shaft to replace my old SPLIT SHAFT pots on my JV fender pbass.
    BUT they don't fit into the pickguard, they're too large!! it seems that jv fenders don't have regular pickguards hole :(

so my question is, are the cts SPLIT shaft thinner or are they the same as solid shaft?
    what can i buy to replace the old pots(~5/16" ).

thanks.

2. funkybassplayer

funkybassplayer Commercial User

Sep 16, 2003
    Longview, TX
    Nordstrand Audio
    my experience with the CTS pots, whether they are split or solid shaft is that they don't fit into the holes in MOST pickgaurds. what i found worked well was to carefully drill the hole open. NOW I KNOW THAT JUST BECAUSE I SAID TO DRILL IT THAT LOTS OF PEOPLE MIGHT TELL YOU I AM CRAZY FOR DOING THAT, THIS IS HOW I DID IT. I could have ordered more pots that would have fit correctly but i like the bigger one. the seem to have a smoother throw.

3. dawncobra

dawncobra

Jul 3, 2007
    thanks, a little bit a dremel and it fits :)

4. funkybassplayer

funkybassplayer Commercial User

Sep 16, 2003
    Longview, TX
    Nordstrand Audio
    yup. depending on the direction you are drilling (front to back, etc) the fillings wil be out of site under the gaurd

5. Rodent

Rodent A Killer Pickup Lineā„¢ Commercial User

Dec 20, 2004
    Upper Left Corner (Seattle)
    Player-Builder-Founder: Honey Badger Pickups & Regenerate Guitar Works
    I usually use a small round file for enlarging the pickguard holes - especially those on a P-bass where there is very little pickguard material to provide support ... things go 'snap!' really easily down here. I also make sure to properly support the pickguard I am filing on so that I don't slip and crack it or slip and scratch it

I figure five extra minutes spent enlarging the holes is a good trade-off compared to spending $50 for a new pickguard.

all the best,

R

6. lowtide

lowtide Commercial User

Oct 14, 2006
    Bradenton, Florida
    Owner: Buzzard's Bass Shop
    A 3/8" drill bit to enlarge the holes for your CTS pots.

7. +1

If your really paranoid, you can run the drill bit in by hand

8. For a really clean-cut hole, I use a Uni-Bit. Excellent in plastic.
    Josh

9. Hand reamer.

10. Steveaux

Steveaux Supporting Member

Jul 1, 2008
    The Wilds of NW Pa.
    + 1000 ... clean & safe.

11. slyjoe

slyjoe Supporting Member

Jun 28, 2008
    Valley of the Sun (AZ)
    ... and fast!

Grizzly makes slightly larger one than normal which I have used for slightly enlarging tuner holes also.