1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

CTS Push Pull / Pot for Series / Parallel --- HELP!!!

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Chiliwailer, Jan 31, 2017.

1. Chiliwailer

Chiliwailer

May 18, 2013
    London
    Hi all,

I'm stumped. I bought a CTS 250k push pull pot for my Jazz Bass, but can't find a decent diagram to wire it for series / parallel. The diagram that came with it seems to be for a humbucker being put into series / parallel, I say this is as to me it isn't clear where the wires from the other pots go...

Edit - It's a 2015 USA Std Jazz Bass, so black and white wires with regular VVT

The pot and diagram is in the link below, any help is very much appreciated.

CTS Push Pull Pot 250k | eBay

Thanks!

Last edited: Jan 31, 2017
  2. bholder

bholder Affable Sociopath Supporting Member

Sep 2, 2001
    Vestal, NY
    Received a gift from Sire* (see sig)
    The diagram is for series / parallel switching between two halves of a humbucker. The same approach can be used for two separate single coils, but the wires don't come together in a bundle as depicted. They really ought to label the colors in the diagram key though - I'm assuming green and black are the two grounds and red and white the two hots. Looks like green and white are one coil (or pickup) and red and black the other. What colors are your pickup leads? For reference, so nobody else has to go to the ebay page, here's the pic:

s-l1600.gif

3. bholder

Sep 2, 2001
    Vestal, NY
    And the + line coming out the right is the one that goes to the volume pot then tone pot then output jack.

4. bholder

Sep 2, 2001
    Vestal, NY
    What are your existing controls? If there are two volumes or a volume and a blend, then those have to go before the switch rather than after.

5. Chiliwailer

Chiliwailer

May 18, 2013
    London
    Thanks for the pics and replies, really appreciated.

It's a 2015 USA Std Jazz Bass, so black and white wires with regular VVT.

(I may have to go offline soon, but will be straight back on in the morning)

Thanks again

6. bholder

Sep 2, 2001
    Vestal, NY
    This might help:

84d54debeb244ddb3e1ba8666ee40ae3.jpg

If you remap that using the "normal layout to our layout" diagram above, you should have what you need. Be aware that in series mode, there'll only be one working volume controlling both (possible to keep them separate, I think, by putting the volumes before the switch, but it's a whole lot more work). Edit: Scratch that last parenthetical about separate volumes in series, wouldn't work as desired (one volume would control one of the pickups, but the other would control both together, still maybe useful but not very intuitive to use at all).

7. Chiliwailer

Chiliwailer

May 18, 2013
    London
    I used that same diagram on my Mike Lull PJ4 recently when I used a toggle switch, it worked great. I was thinking about trying a straight copy. But....

I was wondering about copying it, but the terminal codes wouldn't match up to the first diagram pic I posted. (I.e. Terminals 1&3 are linked on the old school one but it's C1&3 on the CTS). I could take a guess and 'translate' where they go, (so put 1&3 to C1&3) but if I get it the wrong way around (2&4 to C1&3 as the diagram below has no codes) then push might be Series and up Parallel, not what I want. Or it may not work at all????? Am I missing something here? I'm happy to do this but understanding electrics is not a strong point.

8. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

May 11, 2021