Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Cubase 3.0

Discussion in 'Recording Gear and Equipment [BG]' started by PUNK&DONUTS, Jun 13, 2001.

1. Has anyone used it?
    Whats your opinions of it?
    Thanks

2. I've used it.. but i dislike it..

For backing drums while practicing i use Fruity-Loops..

for composing i use a very old version of Cakewalk, it's old, but it does the job without blabla..

3. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    Hm, there's usually three different factions:

Cakewalk, Cubase or Logic fans. (And there are still other great tools like Samplitude or Nuendo.)

All apps have their pros and cons, and there are several pro and consumer editions available of all three, with different features and pricing.

Cubase VST is strong with VST instruments and effects, and you can connect it to other programs like Propellerhead's Reason and Rebirth via the rewire function.

I recommend checking out some Cubase forums, like www.cubase.net - you might get more response there.

BTW: Cubase <b>5</b> is the latest revision.

4. oddentity

oddentity

Nov 20, 2000
    Philly
    I use Cubase VST/24 v3.7. I hope to upgrade to VST/32 v5.0 very soon...

I mainly use it for my electronic music project, as the sequencer section of Cubase is the bomb.

There are so many great plugins available for the audio section that I find myself using very little outboard gear -- a little compression here and there, but mostly everything gets recorded dry. Then I start adding plugins to really mess with the sounds...

There is definitely a learning curve, but it's very deep software, and once you learn the program, you can pretty much get it to do whatever you want. It's well worth the investment, imo.

5. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
    I've used Cubase and Cakewalk, I like Cakewalk better. I hear Cubase 5 will be a vast improvement though, so I'll have to give it a look. BTW, you can get all those plugins in directX format or get the VST converter.

6. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    I forgot...to really enjoy Cubase, your soundcard should have ASIO 2.0 drivers (it's an alternative for directx), for super low latency and best funtionality.
    Midiman Delta cards (e.g. Audiophile 2496) for example have ASIO drivers for Cubase and EASI drivers for Logic.
    A good alternative is Terratec's EWS2496.