Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Cubase

Discussion in 'Recording Gear and Equipment [BG]' started by Joe Nerve, Aug 11, 2001.

1. Joe Nerve

Joe Nerve Supporting Member

Oct 7, 2000
    New York City
    Endorsing artist: Musicman basses, Hipshot products
    I know I can go to Steinberg's websit and get all the info I need (and I will), but I wanna know yer thoughts too.

What are the main differences between Cubasis and Cubase VST? Also, I'm considering selling a Korg D16 which I seem to have a problem using, to go totally computer based. I had an old Digidesign sytem and I got really used to the visual aspect of recording. All that sound dissapearing into the D16 is weird to me now.

Any suggestions on a sound card and recording program that will give me quality recording at around $700?

Thanks.

2. oddentity

oddentity

Nov 20, 2000
    Philly
    I am an avid Cubase user, but I've never tried Cubasis so I can't help you there...

As far as soundcards -- I have a MOTU 828 Firewire interface. All you need is a Firewire card for your PC ($50 or so for a good one fromn Adaptec), and it should be within your price range.

It has 2 XLR+1/4" inputs with phantom power, 6 1/4" analog inputs, a stereo S/PDIF digital input, stereo lightpipe input, and 8 1/4" analog outputs. No MIDI.

It also comes with a scaled down version of MOTU's Digital Performer, called Audiodesk. It's like Digital Performer but without MIDI. It's no Cubase, but it's not a bad little program for audio-only multitracking. I prefer to use Cubase since my electronic music project relies heavily on MIDI, but I use Audiodesk to record with my rock band.

3. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    Midiman's Delta cards are bundled with great software, most notably a tailormade version of Emagic's Logic.

www.midiman.com

Here's a review of the Midiman Delta Audiophile 2496

http://www.tweakmax.com/html/ap2496/ap2496-1.cfm

Cubase can handle more audio and midi tracks, and the higher versions also can do 24bit and 32bit "TrueTape" recording. You also can do scores with VST Score and VST32.
    Cubase probably has some more features than Cubasis, but I've never worked with Cubasis, so I'm not able to confirm that.

VST is a proprietary software interface for realtime FX and virtual instruments (e.g. synths and sample players). There`s a VST version of Cubasis available.

4. maxoges

maxoges

Aug 23, 2000
    Stockholm, Sweden
    I took cubase classes at MI and all I can say is if you can afford it get protools instead.

5. JMX

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    I never used the pro ProTools but judging from ProTools Free it's not any better.
    Any since he doesn't want to spend much...

For those who can or want to:

If you don't like Cubase, get Logic - or even better, get Nuendo.

Nuendo ROCKS! www.nuendo.com

Magix (Sek'd) Samplitude is an insider tip - best audio recording engine I've seen yet, apart maybe from Nuendo.
    http://www.magix.com/select.html

Sequoia I haven't seen yet, but is supposed to be Sek'd's answer to Steinberg's Nuendo http://www.sekd.com/product_main/sequoia_info.htm

6. oddentity

oddentity

Nov 20, 2000
    Philly
    Yeah, I've heard great things about Sek'd products... especially Samplitude.

maxoges - until Digidesign properly integrates MIDI into Protools, and brings down their prices exponentially ;), I'll stick with Cubase.

It all comes down to whatever makes the user most comfortable. Some people like Logic, some like Cakewalk, other prefer Protools... I like my Cubase, and I can't wait to upgrade to VST/32...

7. Joe Nerve

Joe Nerve Supporting Member

Oct 7, 2000
    New York City
    Endorsing artist: Musicman basses, Hipshot products
    I would not under any circumstances ever give another hard earned penny of my money to Digidesign. When hard disc recording was just coming around I purchased a Session 8 for around $5000. It took the guys in tech support about 2 months to help me get the thing running, and then I was forgotten about. They never informed me of updates, trade in offers they were making - nothing. They argued that I never registered with them, yet I had the names of all the tech people that helped me in the beginning. They wouldn'thave helped if it weren't registered.

Anyhow - the system is now useless, I've emailed them several times and been ignored, and basically I threw away $5000. They could care less about that or me, or helping out anyone who's purchased this system.

I am not a fan of Digidesign.

8. maxoges

maxoges

Aug 23, 2000
    Stockholm, Sweden
    even though I work most with audio I really like the protools midisetup. What's wrong with it?
    I worked with Cubase also and I don't think it is any better.
    To be onest I quit going to the cubase lessons after a about four weeks since I didn't like the interface or the way you work with the program.

Nuendo is more expensive than a DIGI001 protools LE, so I don't see that as an option.

Cubase is cheaper though, I'll give you that

9. oddentity

oddentity

Nov 20, 2000
    Philly
    To be honest, I haven't messed around with Protools MIDI since they first added it a year or two ago, and I didn't spend as much time getting to know it as I have with Cubase. (But that's 'cause I can afford to own Cubase.)

It just wasn't an intuitive interface for me ... with Cubase, there are three or four different basic ways to edit midi (list edit, notation, piano scroll, drum pattern), and then you can customize the views to your liking. I just didn't like the way Protools had it laid out. Personal preference. I have heard that Protools midi has/had some timing issues, but I never experienced that.

Sure, Protools in the industry standard, but I think Cubase or Logic makes a lot of sense for those who are using a PC-based, minimal home studio.

10. JMX

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    Digi001 doesn't work on Win2k.

11. maxoges

maxoges

Aug 23, 2000
    Stockholm, Sweden
    Yes that's true, and it sucks... But I use one partition of the hard drive for protools (win 98) and one for everything else (win 2K). It may seem a bit strange, but it works fine for me.

12. JMX

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    I really love Win2k for Audio.

WDM drivers and 2ms latency with Cubase - NICE!

And it's absolutely stable.