Cubic bass?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Floppy de Notsogreat, Sep 16, 2000.

1. Floppy de Notsogreat

Floppy de Notsogreat

Sep 14, 2000
    Hello everyone,

Yesterday, while out searching for a cheap but nice bass, I stumbled upon a really interesting used specimen. I believe it was named "Cubic" something. I don't recall what the salesperson said its full name was. I've had a look around the net, but couldn't find anything. Maybe I've got the name wrong. Since it was quite different I figured maybe all you knowledgeable bass people around here might know what I'm talking about if I describe it.

Black, 4-string. No head; instead the tuners are down at the bridge. Body quite a bit like the Steinberger Spirit XZ headless basses at musicyo, except for some sharper angles. It's got a sort of clamp on the fourth string, near where the head should be, which you use to change tuning between standard and drop D. Two covered pickups. Anyone know this bass?

The reason, besides curiosity, that I'm interested in it is that I sat down with it for quite a while, and I really, really liked it. It took me a few minutes to get over the unconventional looks, and I still don't think it's that great looking, but it felt great. Nice balance, with most of the weight close to the body. Nice neck. The tuning clamp thing seemed to work all right, by my ear at least. Most of all I liked the sounds I could get from it. I don't know what the electronics are, but fiddling with the knobs produced a bunch of different nice tones. And it was in good condition.

The price they want for it is a little bit high for me at the moment (and I don't get my next study grant for a while): 7000 Swedish kronor, which is about $710 US, I believe. Case included in the price. The guy in the store said that it was a real bargain price, and that they were really expensive. I'm pretty tempted to go for it.
  2. What store in Sweden were you in? No I will not go buy it, just want to check it out. Used for 7000SEK whoa..

3. eli

eli Mad showoff 7-stringer and Wish lover Supporting Member

Dec 12, 1999
    NW suburban Chicago
    That would be a Kubicki. The reason the tuners are on the body is that the headstock is actually part of the fingerboard. That little lever and the two lower frets is what they call the "X factor" giving the bass the name Kubicki Factor. A cute idea. Stu Hamm used 'em quite a bit until Fender signed him on.