Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Cunning ABG feedback-defying device?

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by Zerozeddy, Mar 17, 2005.

1. I have feedback issues with my resonator bass (with magnetic pickup). I have been thinking of getting a 5-string acoustic, but fear huge feedback nightmares (with piezo) rather than little annoyances.

So: a thought just this second popped into my head, and I wonder if any forumeer has tried it. I can't try it coz me reso has lots of little holes rather than one big one.

What would happen if you shoved something like a towel or sheet into the soundbox of an ABG? Would this prevent feedback? Would it affect the sound so much it would sound rubbish? Am I a genius or an idiot?

If anyone would like to test the theory and report back, I'd be grateful.

2. bassman314

bassman314 I seem to be a verb, an evolutionary process... Gold Supporting Member

Mar 13, 2005
    Bay Area, CA
    I have a Michael Kelley 4-string AEB with a classic Fishman-4.

I run it through a Behringer UltraGain MIC 100 :bag:

At first, I did get some pretty nasty feed back. I used the -25dB pad on the Mic Preamp, and that took the feed out of my back.

If you use a DI or Pre-amp, use the pad...

3. paintandsk8

paintandsk8 Pushin' my soul through the wire...

May 12, 2003
    West Lafayette, IN
    If you want feedback tips, check out the DB side of this forum. Those guys are the masters of feedback supression. But about the towel, yes it will dampen the feedback some, but obviously it will dampen the resonance of the guitar some. It's always a trade off, you can't bet the best of both worlds. But check out DB forums for other ideas.