Curbow 4FL (Fretless)

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Murf, Mar 7, 2002.

1. Murf

Mar 28, 2001
    Hi guys,
    just wondering if any of you have used these basses? (or any curbow bass), if so what're your opinions on them?

I'm currently looking for a reasonably good fretless but I dont want to spend a fortune on one (a particular project I'm working on needs a fretless for two tracks other than that its fretted so I dont want to fork out a ton of money on something I'll rarely use) I'm looking for a pretty good mid range instrument below 1100 quid.

I'm currently using a vintage fretless which looks great but sounds TERRIBLE (granted it only cost about 300 quid new).

so any ideas? the curbow looks great but how does it sound? would I be better off just buying a mexican jazz and de-fretting?

thanks in advance.
  2. snyderz

Aug 20, 2000
    AZ mountains
    I once had a Cort Curbow 5FL, and it wasn't a bad bass. Good tone, fast neck, and a decent B string. The body shape made it difficult to play seated. You will also have to get used to the smell of luthite.
  3. Philbiker

Philbiker Pat's the best!

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    I've played around with a Cort Curbow 4 fretless and have been pretty impressed. Nice bass.
  4. progplayer

Nov 7, 2001
    well for the money its a decent fretless. i wouldn't own one because i'm anal about tone. i'd say its a budget buy and would be a good bass for someone that wants to get into fretless bass playing.

other than that it just sounds "Decent" and plays ok.
  5. John Davis

John Davis Guest

Mar 27, 2001
    Houston, Texas
    I own one. Nice bass. Shallow neck, nice Bart p/up and pre-amp. Ony gripes about mine was the active setting gave out on mine, but the pre-amp works fine.
  6. John Davis

John Davis Guest

Mar 27, 2001
    Houston, Texas
    Oh yeah, there _IS_ a difference between a Curbow and a Cort Curbow.
  7. jasonbraatz

Oct 18, 2000
    Oakland, CA
    if you're going cort - i'd get a B series or one of the neck thru ones before i got a curbow.

swamp ash body
    wenge neck
    bart pickups/preamp

need i say more?

8. John Davis

John Davis Guest

Mar 27, 2001
    Houston, Texas
    I agree.