Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Curbow 5 Action

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by maxy, Nov 1, 2004.

1. maxy

maxy

Jun 24, 2004
    I have a curbow 5. How does the action of the bass has to be. My teacher tells me it should be higher on the fatter strings but this is comfortable. right now i have it high on the middle and lower on the other sides. This feels good but is this the right way?

2. Most people will agree that the lower the action the better. As low as possible w/o fretbuzz. But what really matters is what's comfortable. If you like how your bass is setup right now, and there's no buzz, then don't worry about it. If you're not sure, experiment with different settings(if you know how to do it properly, no disrespect intended). Just figure out what feels right. There is no "wrong" way to setup your bass.
    Another thing to keep in mind is how close your pickups are to your strings. You might need to adjust them if your strings smack against them during regular play.

Sorry so long...hope this helps. :)

3. maxy

maxy

Jun 24, 2004
    That dont ans my question.

WHat shud the shape of my action be?

4. Shape? Do you mean which strings are higher off your fretboard than the others? My strings are pretty much the same heigth from the board B to G. I like the strings to follow the radius of the fretboard top to bottom. But like I was saying, it only depends on what feels right for you. The shape doesn't matter. Now if you're talking about intonation that's a different story. :confused: