Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Curbow and Kingston.. need info !

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by AllodoX, Aug 21, 2002.

1. j0 !

My local store has this nice Curbow 6-stringer for sale, but they also have a very pretty MTD Kingston 4 stringer for sale.. i'm thinking of buying them both, as i have heard a lot of good stuff about them..

BUT, ofcourse i would not dare to buy it without asking your opinion first :D

- How would you describe the tone of the curbow ?
    - How would you describe the tone of the kingston ?
    - how is the balance of the kingston ?
    - how is the balance of the curbow ?
    - Curbow 6-stringer... floppy B or tight B ?
    - Is it true that the kingston has a VERY thin neck ?
    - Is it true that the kingston has flimsy bridge ? if so.. what would be a good substitute ?

2. Ívar Þórólfsson

Ívar Þórólfsson Mmmmmm... Supporting Member

Apr 9, 2001
    Kopavogur, Iceland
    Walk down to the music store and try them out Allo! :D

Let your ears, sight and feel be the judge. Not a bunch of 1 and 0´s from the internet ;)

:D

3. yeah ok.. but how do i know if they sound the way they should sound, if i don't know how they ought to sound ? ;)

4. Ívar Þórólfsson

Ívar Þórólfsson Mmmmmm... Supporting Member

Apr 9, 2001
    Kopavogur, Iceland
    Does that matter? If you like the way they sound, why does it matter if they ought to sound in some other way?
    :D

(sorry for dragging this thread down the narrow and winding tunnel of pointlessness ;) )

5. LA

LA

Oct 17, 2001
    Michigan
    If it's possible, play them through a rig that closely resembles yours, in order to get some idea of what your potential purchase will sound like once you walk out of the store with it.

I don't know anything about the Curbow, but my Kingston 5 sounds like a MusicMan but with less tonal range; it also has a killer B. The Kingston neck is fine and so is the bridge.

6. frederic b. hodshon

frederic b. hodshon Supporting Member

May 10, 2000
    Lake Forest, CA
    None.
  7. Sweet satan ! :eek:

That thing does sound nice indeed.. i have very crappy speakers here ( notebook ), yet it sound very good thru them.. can't wait to hear them thru my home stereo ( DD5.1 system with 200w 8" subwoofer )

hmm.. a kingston 5 might go well with the ATK and the Jazz.. hmm.. just something different to spice up the aroma a little :D

8. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

Allo, is it a Curbow, or a Cort Curbow? Big difference.

9. oy yeah.. crap.. sorry..

it's a red Cort Curbow 6-stringer with bartolini stuff in it.. not the mightymight stuff

10. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

Both are mighty nice basses. The Kingston has a better B string, but the Cort has more tonal versatility. You might want to try the Cort sitting down, they are kind of strange because of the body shape and dimensions.

Do you need another 5 stringer, or are you ready to make the jump to 6?:D

11. well.. dunno.. i don't use the high strings that often..