Curbow and ZON materials.

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by robb., Jun 1, 2004.

1. I have begun saving for my next bass, and I have a pretty open list of potentials, among them Curbow and ZON. I dug up the February 1996 issue of Bass Player that has a review of the Curbow Int’l Exotic Petite bass. I’ve also been to the Curbow website, so I’m pretty up to date on what makes up rockwood. Then I decided to check out the Zon website to begin to explore the Zon line. The FAQ briefly describes what goes into the famed phenowood fingerboard.

Lo and behold! the material is the same. Check out the details below from the two luthiers’ websites.

I thought this was interesting, since much is made by ZON owners about how great the phenowood fingerboard is, particularly for fretless. It's also germane to the ZON thread started by vacman.

2. mikezimmerman

mikezimmerman Supporting Member

Apr 29, 2001
    Omaha, Nebraska
    Yep, it's pretty much the same stuff, and it does make a killer fretless board, and a killer neck too!

3. adrian garcia

adrian garcia

Apr 9, 2001
    las vegas. nevada
    Endorsing Artist: Nordy Basses, Schroeder Cabs, Gallien Krueger Amps
    add to that list the fretlesses from Keith Roscoe ( he calls it Diamondwood) and a few others , including a custom F bass is had made and sold to Jugghaid here on TB-
    for a fretless board, i love it, it lasts better than ebony though ebony sounds more organic, the phenol-diamond-rock-wood can be zingy on the hi end. But my last 3 fretlesse have had it ( Zon currently) and again, i love it.
  4. right you are, Adrian:

sounds pretty cool to me. i hope i can get my hands on something like that in the next year.