Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Curbow Basses

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Vorago, Feb 18, 2005.

1. Vorago

Vorago (((o)))

Jul 17, 2003
    Antwerp, Belgium
    I recently came across a Curbow 7string fretless on these boards and man, I think I'm in love! I absolutely love that design and the looks on those basses! Are there any Tb'rs who own one, played one? I'd love to hear your comments :) Sound, playability, you name it! Plus, could anyone tell me in what price range these basses are situated? I'm quite sure I can't afford it, but I'd like to know anyway :)

Cheers

2. Do a search, theres some info on them on here somewhere. His site lists 7string prices as $5,800 and up....

3. I've owned several Curbows, and have one being built at the moment. They're great basses! The workmanship on the ones I've owned has been flawless, and the playability unmatched--that Rockwood neck just kills! His carved tops are beautiful, too.

Mike

4. CurbowPete

CurbowPete

Aug 28, 2004
    USA
    I have two curbows and they are fantastic. I can't tell you what Greg's pricing is like, I purchased both of my basses used.

-Pete

5. The pricing is expensive, but not as bad as the "list prices" on the website make it look.

Mike

6. justBrian

justBrian

Apr 19, 2002
    Kansas City, MO
    I recently picked up a used Petite 5 and absolutely love it. I left an email at the Curbow site and Greg (Curbow) called me back. This is, without a doubt, the best bass I have ever owned.

That being said, I had an accident at a rehearsal a litlle while ago. We'd come in from a break and I had leaned the Curbow up against the amp and was making a few adjustments. THe bass slid (slow-motion like) off the face of the amp, hit the floor (carpeted), and the headstock snapped. It didn't break completely through, but was seriously damaged. I sent it back to Greg & C, and they repaired it, replaced the nut, dressed the frets and fingerboard, and did a complete set up. They called me several times during the repair process to ask about specific things-- it seemed like we talked quite a bit. I am totally impressed with the customer support from Greg and Simon. Their workmanshipped incredible.

7. Just curious--was your Petite one of the older ones with a wood neck? 'Cause my experience with Rockwood used on the current necks is that it's pretty near indestructible. Then again, none of mine have been dropped, so I haven't had to find out the hard way how sturdy it really is!

Mike

8. justBrian

justBrian

Apr 19, 2002
    Kansas City, MO
    Hi Mike,

It is an early model, but I'm almost sure it's a rockwood neck. That's why I was so surprised. I guess I can email Simon and ask him. Still, the repair is flawless-- you can't tell it's been broken at all.

9. prockenklang

prockenklang

May 22, 2003
    Monterey,Ca.
    I own seven Curbows right now and am about to buy another from a friend of mine!! Don't confuse them with the Cort Curbows,the Corts are toys compared to the REAL Curbows!By-the-way,if anybody is looking to sell one,e-mail me,I am always looking for more.I am mainly interested in 5-string carved-top instruments.

John

10. TimothyGroovy

TimothyGroovy Supporting Member Commercial User

Aug 3, 2000
    Hong Kong
    Owner: Uni••Sound
    I own one US Curbow International Exotic Petite 6 string bass, it is a all rockwood model, I really love the tiny body design, it is well balance, but it is a bit heavy!! The overall sound is bright in my opinion,it is good for any playing style. Also, I really love the extremely low action of Curbow basses. Anyway, I could say it is my life long partner!

[​IMG]

Kind Regards
    Timothy

11. TimothyGroovy

TimothyGroovy Supporting Member Commercial User

Aug 3, 2000
    Hong Kong
    Owner: Uni••Sound
    Hi, John, I'm curious to know which seven Curbow basses you own! I would like to see some pictures too! Any eyes candy for us :D ?! Same as you, I am always looking for more as well! I need one more Curbow 6 string bass for spare!! :rolleyes:

12. prockenklang

prockenklang

May 22, 2003
    Monterey,Ca.
    Hi Tim,I will take some pictures this weekend! As far as the specs of them:
    1)American Exotic Petite(flat top)5-string,quilted maple top,purple heart back.
    2)International Exotic Petite(carved top)4-string,buckeye burl top,mahogany back
    3)International Exotic Petite 5-string,quilted maple top w/amber finish,mahogany back,custom block inlays
    4)International Exotic Petite 5-string,quilted maple top w/grapeburst finish,purple heart back
    5)International exotic Petite 5-string,burl walnut top,ash back
    6)International Exotic Petite 5-string,flame walnut top w/checkerboard binding,purple heart back
    7)International Exotic Petite 5-string,flame maple top w/amber burst finish,mahogany back,and wenge neck(all of my other Curbows have Rockwood necks)

All have carved tops except for the American Exotic Petite

John

13. Interesting how many of those I recognize as coming up for sale on the 'net at one time or another...

Mike

14. daaam u think one International exotic Petite 5-string would be enough, nooo u need every color of the rainbow!!! lol

15. prockenklang

prockenklang

May 22, 2003
    Monterey,Ca.
    You can never have too many Curbows!!!! As far as Craig's quote that you used saying,"If you are gonna suck,you might as well look good",looking good is a bonus because I can actually play!!!

16. prockenklang

prockenklang

May 22, 2003
    Monterey,Ca.
    The internet has made this a very small world!!

John

17. justBrian

justBrian

Apr 19, 2002
    Kansas City, MO
    So, why aren't they more popular?

18. prockenklang

prockenklang

May 22, 2003
    Monterey,Ca.
    That's a really good question!! They are all I play,and I have owned well over a hundred high-end basses.Up until a couple of months ago,I had six Foderas,five of which I sold,and one that I don't even play anymore that is just packed away in one of my guitar trunks.

John

19. I think it's because they're not readily available (you can't walk into Guitar Center and find 8 or 10 USA Curbows to choose from - I waited a year for mine) and they're expensive. Worth every penny, IMO.

20. I can play too but i dont have 6 differnt instruments of hte same model with differnt colors, if you play well enough people what care what you bass looks like, but noone cares about the bass player anyway, o well