Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Curbow Basses

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by berklee46, Dec 18, 2001.

1. berklee46

berklee46 Supporting Member

Dec 19, 2000
    MA
    I'd be interested in hearing comments about Curbow basses (not Cort). They seem like great instruments and the Rockwood neck really got my interest.

Thanks for any info!

2. Woodchuck

Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    Gallien Krueger for the last 12 years!
    I've played quite a few of them. NOTHING growls like that rockwood. They are great basses, but you need to play them for a while to get used to the smallish body. If you can get one, I'd reccomend it.

3. John Davis

John Davis Guest

Mar 27, 2001
    Houston, Texas
    I like their smallish bodies(assuming the Cort model is similar to the real Curbows), but I find their prices to be a bit high. Are they really worth all that money?

4. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    From my recent experience... yes. As much as any bass can be worth the money, the Curbow can. Looks like they depreciate like quite a few other high end basses... something to consider.

5. coyoteboy

coyoteboy easy there, Ned Supporting Member

Mar 29, 2000
    Sactomato, CA
    I sure did dig the one I tried out. Rather heavy. The Rockwood (phenowood, Dymondwood(R)) is very cool, and I like the way it feels and plays.

6. John Davis

John Davis Guest

Mar 27, 2001
    Houston, Texas
    I haven't had any GAS for a while until now. :mad:

7. Hopefully this is where neptoon leaps in and says how great the Curbow 6 he got from me is. ;-)

They are definately the fastest, best-sounding necks I've played, though not everyone likes how wide and flat they (usually) are. The small bodies do take a little getting used to, and I found the carved-top version a bit more comfortable than the flat-top version. The workmanship and fretwork is absolutely flawless, though.

Mike

8. neptoon

neptoon

Jul 25, 2000
    summerville, sc
    here i am! ;) man, i really can't say enough about how awesome this bass is! the wide neck and string spacing are perfect for me, and it really packs a punch...growls too...and sustains forever. heavier than a warwick, but who cares, right? the one i got from mike was built in '95 and has the 9v bart preamp installed, and i was thinking about having the 18v system installed. i just don't want to part with it long enough to have it done. :D a solidly built bass and worth the bucks...

9. neptoon

neptoon

Jul 25, 2000
    summerville, sc
    i got mine at an awesome price ;)...honestly, i haven't finished paying for it yet, but i would buy a new one in a heartbeat if i had the cash...well worth it.

10. Bassmonkeee should be chiming in here soon.. he's got two Curbows, and they're great basses. Curbow is building me a custom Jazz bass which should be done sometime in 2007. :D Seriously, though, I can't wait. Rockwood is the s**t.. smoothest back of a neck I've ever felt.. on a bass, anyway! :cool:

11. bassmonkeee

bassmonkeee Supporting Member

Sep 13, 2000
    Decatur, GA
    I looooove my Curbow basses. And, Greg is one of the most interesting guys I have met. I've known him for about 12 years now, and he still cracks me up. I think the rockwood neck is the greatest thing to happen to basses. Period. All of the benefits of graphite while still feeling, and sounding like wood.

Neptoon-- The 18V electronics upgrade is defintely worth it. I had it done to my 5 string petite, and it sounds amazing with the Bart pickups, and the 18V EMG preamp.

We've been working on upgrading his website (it should also be done sometime in 2007 :D). I currently have a box full of pics of Curbow basses that blow my mind. I just got my scanner running, so I'll scan some pics and add them to this thread tonight before I leave for a gig.

The bodies are definitely petite--the name fits. But, they are extemely comfortable to play. My 5 string is a bit on the heavy side. But, it is made of purpleheart and lacewood. Rockwood is also a pretty heavy wood. Curbow also likes to sandwich a block of brass between the bridge and the topwood. So, it sits deep in the body, and gives you sustain for days.

As for the wide necks, they are surprisingly easy to get used to. And, if you have a bass made by Greg, he'll give you any neck profile you want. Dave's Jazz will have the same neck profile as his Reverend. My '89 Curbow has a teeny little asymetrical neck made of Brazilian rosewood.

Zon and Moses Graphite both liked rockwood enough to start using it as their fretboards. Of course, they call it phenowood or dymondwood. I think it gives the best sound for a fretless fingerboard. Apparently, they agree.

Curbow also does some of the best fretwork I have ever seen. And, his control cavities are also fun to look at. Very clean, well shielded, and neat.

12. bassmonkeee

Sep 13, 2000
    Decatur, GA
    Here is the green bass that Brad played a couple of days ago (I think):

[​IMG]

13. bassmonkeee

Sep 13, 2000
    Decatur, GA
    Here's a really cool single cutaway he did (this one is a little dark--didn't edit it enough after scanning)--

14. bassmonkeee

Sep 13, 2000
    Decatur, GA
    Here's a cool bass that had multiple colored layers of rockwood in the neck, and body.

15. bassmonkeee

Sep 13, 2000
    Decatur, GA
    Now that I've got a decent scanner hooked up, I will have pics of about 60 different Curbow basses online. Wait'll you see the fretless Bootsy Star Bass, or the 6 string Jazz bass with the Rockwood neck. He really does so much more than you've seen.

16. Ahh yes, bassmonkeee, the Greg Curbow publicity machine, hard at work.

17. Brad Johnson

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    That's the bass. Much greener IRL

18. Brad Johnson

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    This might show the detail a little better. The neck is green and the inlays appear to be Abalone.

[​IMG]

19. bassmonkeee

Sep 13, 2000
    Decatur, GA
    Hee hee. It's funny, cause it's true. :D

Seriously, I've just known Curbow for a long time, and love the way his basses feel, and sound. Plus, new scanners are fun!

20. I've only played the Cort Curbow, but I thought it was an awesome fretless, serious mmwwwyaaaah.