Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Curbow Cort users!!! Help needed!!!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by andruca, Jul 28, 2004.

1. andruca

andruca

Mar 31, 2004
    Madrid (Spain)
    Hello all you Curbow Cort users!!!

Recently I bought a Curbow Cort 5 (the one with the Mighty Mite pickup and although I am very satisfied with it, I found several problems I'd like to get rid of. First of all I bought this bass just as a cool backup for both my Stingray 5 and my Fernandes Gravity V. Usually I can seamlessly alternate between my MM and my Fernandes without changing my amp's EQ (and nor even changing the patch I'm using in my pedalboard -Boss GT-6B-). But I found the Cort's sound is not as balanced as the others, so , despite gain adjustments, I have to seriously turn down the mid-low/low frequencies (between 125 and 250 Hz) and the hi-mids (between 2 and 5 KHz, otherwise if sounds absolutely "harshy" ant with annoying mid-lows).

So, first of all, tell me what your settings are on your Curbow Corts (just in the bass' preamp, not the amp or anything else) and even if you use it with the slap switch on (down) or off (up) and if it is on, the rear preset settings for mid and low. I'm asking this so I can try different alternatives to get on with this problem and try to solve it from the bass itself. Amp/pedalboard EQ settings are welcome too, but I'd like to first do as much as I can from the bass onboard preamp.

I also find that my G string is very weak (not in volume but in weight/caracter -even after I moved from .040 to .045-). I could try heavier and heavier G strings until I find THE ONE but I want this bass to still be playable (and I doubt I will enjoy playing a "beyond .050" G string). So, tell me what string gauges you use on your CCs too.

Thanks so much for your help and forgive my barely readable english, it's as good as it gets when you are an argentinian living in Spain.

ANDRUCA

2. Why don't you just get an old BOSS EQ pedal for when you use that bass? Just have it in line, like past a pedal tuner, and there you have it...scoop the mid there, and it'll be easier than always having to fiddle with yo amp.

3. andruca

andruca

Mar 31, 2004
    Madrid (Spain)
    Thanks so much MonRominee. That's a good idea. But maybe my question was not well focused. I mean, does the bass has something more to give soundwise and it's me who's not capable of getting it? Does anyone have a similar problem? Is there anyone who got THAT well balanced sound right out of the Curbow Cort?

Thanks so much...

ANDRUCA

4. Mine sounds really, really good actually.. I'm very happy with the way it sounds. I run mine with the onboard preamp set flat, and I keep the slap contour switch engaged at all times, or I end up with the harsh mids that you are talking about. See if that helps...