Curbow International Exotic Petite?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by JRBrown, Mar 8, 2003.

1. JRBrown

Jun 21, 2000
    North Carolina
    Does anyone know something about these basses?
    Weight? Playability? Sound? Pics?
  2. christoph h.

christoph h.

Mar 26, 2001
    well, i don't really know much about them, especially since greg curbow didn't answer my e-mails. but if you'd like some sound-examples of curbows listen to some adam nitti.
  3. wow... if you can get that then go for it... a friend of mine has one... wow.. those basses are sooo nice, they weigh a little less than a warwick streamer... i think(i dont remember too well)... my friends has LED lit dots but i dont know... if you get one with LED's the watch out for like low batteries(my friends would feed back a little when the preamp started running low)......
    the image there looks exactly like my friends...
    good luck.... your looking at around 6,000 for the hand carved or around 5,000 for the carved top....
    good luck
  4. mikezimmerman

mikezimmerman Supporting Member

Apr 29, 2001
    Omaha, Nebraska
    Hey JR,

I believe that Pat Mcdonald, who's a TBer, owns that one. I've owned 3 Curbows myself, with a custom 6 string on the way. And TBer bassmonkeee has practically cornered the Curbow market!

However, like lots of basses that are a little outside the norm, they don't do it fo everyone.

Weght: Typically on the heavy side, due to the Rockwood neck and brass sustain block under the bridge.

Playability: Fantastic, if you like wide, flat necks. Rockwood is about the fastest-feeling neck material I've ever played on, and Greg's fretwork is as close to perfect as any I've ever seen.

Sound: Somewhere in between graphite and wood--the Rockwood gives a graphite-like "snap", but it's also somehow "richer" sounding than the Zons and Moduluses I've played. Typically got a nice low-mid "bark" from the mahogany, but different woods and finishes can color that. My experience has been that the slanted front pickup can result in a little less "body" on the higher strings, which can make the G not cut through as well in hard-rock settings (Stingrays also seem to suffer from this). Not everyone hears this, though, so it may depend on strings, EQ settings, etc.

Other notes: The carved tops are really killer, but the older flat-topped ones can be a little uncomfortable because of the sharp body edge, and not everyone likes the small bodies on the Petites. Greg's workmanship is pretty near flawless on all the ones that I've owned or played.

Pics: Lots of them at, of course. Since mine is in progress, the only photo I have is here:

5. 5stringDNA

Oct 10, 2002
    Englewood, CO
    I find the petites very uncomfortable and not particularly nice looking, but everyone has different tastes. That is a really gorgeous bass JRbrown, where'd you get the pic?
  6. barroso

Aug 16, 2000
    is there anyone who can enlight me about the rockwood?

is it a wood with added grapihite material?
    how do they make this material?

7. Here ya go..
  8. mcdonap

Sep 25, 2001
    I have to agree with everything Mike said - right down to that picture being of my bass!

Thanks to Mike, Scott (Berklee46), and Bassmonkee, I decided to give Curbow a try. I'm so happy that I did! That 5 is probably my favorite bass of all time. It is quite heavy, but the tone is just unbelievable. I love the Rockwood neck, and the wide, flat fingerboard seems to suit me perfectly.

Since getting the zebrawood 5, I've also picked up a fretless 5 and a fretted 4. The 4 is a real feather, and Rockwood is also perfect for fretless basses.
  9. mcdonap

Sep 25, 2001
    Here's a picture of the fretless 5. I'll thry to take some better pictures of this bass and the fretted 4 as well.