Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Curbow XT-33, beautiful but never seen one, anybody?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by modulusbassist, Dec 24, 2001.

1. I love the look of this Curbow, but never really seen one. Anybody had any experience with the XT-33? All I've seen is the International Petite.

Thanks

2. mchildree

mchildree Supporting Member

Sep 4, 2000
    AL/GA
    I played one that belonged to the late Allen Woody. It was nice, but very heavy and sounded totally compressed. He didn't care for it too much either, but then he was always a vintage guy.

3. bassmonkeee

bassmonkeee Supporting Member

Sep 13, 2000
    Decatur, GA
    I've played quite a few. I prefer the Petite body style, but the xt-33 is pretty neat. I could only play it on a strap. I keep my basses so the are the same height when I am sitting/standing, so I did't have a problem with the body shape, though.

Depending on what woods it's made of will affect the weight. Rockwood is heavy. No way around it. And, Curbow also puts a 1 pound block of brass under the bridge, too. Adds to the weight, but gives it a lot of sustain.

The frets up in the 30's are'nt all that useful for me(too teeny). But, the notes sound pretty good. If you slap a lot, you might have a hard time because the fretboard extends so far. I usually play over the end of the fretboard, so it was okay. But, that would vary by style, I'm sure. It's too close to the bridge for some people.

I've got some pics of an XT 33 with 2 Bartolini dual coil pickups, so don't think the single soapbar is your only option. I was amazed at what Curbow fit in that space.

4. Thanks for the response, I wish there are some second hand XT-33, new ones cost above $5000.

5. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    They pop up every once in a while. I don't want that many frets so I leave them alone.

6. mchildree

mchildree Supporting Member

Sep 4, 2000
    AL/GA
    Almost every one I've seen has been fretless.