Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Curbow Z-Jazz

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by mikezimmerman, Mar 1, 2006.

1. In response to bassmonkeee's comments on the A MUST SEE!!!! thread, I've decided to start a thread about my new Curbow Z-Jazz. Greg Curbow and I started discussing this bass as he was finishing up my zebrawood singlecut 6-string (another bass which probably deserves its own thread!), but Doug Somervell and I started more serious planning a few months ago.

The idea was to create a "stealth Curbow", a bass that would look a lot like a simple vintage-style Jazz but still be a Curbow at its heart. The bass has an oil-finished ash body with no brass tone block under the bridge, which allowed for lighter weight and through-body stringing. The neck is rosewood-colored Rockwood with a maple binding (I dig the look of the '66 Jazz :) ) and Curbow-shaped headstock. The matching Rockwood pickguard and control knobs were neat details that Doug suggested. Chrome hardware rather than black also made for a slightly more traditional look.

In the interest of simplicity, the bass was initially going to just have two J pickups in a passive setup, but I'd liked the sound of the Basslines J/MM setup on the buckeye Petite I'd owned, and also in an old Warmoth Jazz I used to have, so when I came across a 5-string set I asked Doug to use those instead. It's wired with a volume and blend and separate passive tones for each pickup. I'm anxious to hear how they sound in this bass!

Though I got to know Greg pretty well during the long contruction of my zebrawood bass, it's also been a great pleasure getting to know Doug better while working on this one. Will report more when I take delivery tomorrow, but I definately anticipate future projects from Curbow!

Mike

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    Beautiful! And may I compliment the photographer, too! Nice job. :cool:

3. Planet Boulder

Planet Boulder Hey, this is a private residence...man Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2001
    6,482 feet above sea level
    I once had impure thoughts. Oh, and I pluck my ear hair.
    Holy crap! Just.....holy crap!!!!! :eek:

The holy grail has just appeared before me....

4. bassmonkeee

bassmonkeee Supporting Member

Sep 13, 2000
    Decatur, GA
    *applause*

Absolutely stunning. :hyper:

5. smperry

smperry Moderator Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Nov 3, 2003
    Bay Area, CA
    Endorsing Artist: Martin Keith Guitars
    Wow! I like that! It's gonna be a sweetie.

I like your SC too. :)

Marshall

6. emjazz

emjazz Supporting Member

Feb 23, 2003
    Boston, MA
    I love Curbow's and this one is absolutely stunning.

Does anyone know if Curbow will do custom necks with their rockwood material?

7. bassmonkeee

Sep 13, 2000
    Decatur, GA
    Yes, they will.

8. prockenklang

prockenklang

May 22, 2003
    Monterey,Ca.
    Mike,that bass is KILLER!!!!!!!!!!!!!:hyper: :hyper: :hyper:

9. Tom -- Thanks! The pics come from the Curbow shop--hopefully some more will make it up on their website. My photography skills are pretty pathetic by comparison.

PB -- I'm sure Simon would be happy to take your order. ;) By the way, there may be a chance of doing a whole series of these with different Rockwood colors...:eek:

bassmonkeee -- This whole Curbow obsession is all your fault, y'know.

emjazz -- I'm pretty sure they do custom Rockwood necks, and they probably already have templates for some standard sizes (Fender). Would love a Rockwood-necked Wal myself, but I don't think that one will ever happen!

Anyway, thanks for the compliments everyone. This was a much simpler and quicker project than my last Curbow, but judging from the work Doug did on that one I'm sure it will be flawless.

Mike

10. Human Bass

Human Bass

Aug 26, 2005
    Beaaaatifull!! Which kind of wood is this one in the neck?

11. The neck is Rockwood, which is a birch laminate impregnated with resin under pressure. Curbow's solid Rockwood necks are unique and make them one of the best playing basses out there (IMHO), but I believe that the Diamondwood and Phenowood that Roscoe and Zon use for fretboards are similar materials.

Mike

12. Human Bass

Human Bass

Aug 26, 2005
    Sounds cool

13. MikeBass

MikeBass Supporting Member

Nov 4, 2003
    Ferndale MI.
    Artist: Xotic Basses/AccuGroove
    WOW!!!!!!!!!!!
    That is nice!!
    I didn't know they did "standard" bodies, just thought they did their own designs.

Tom, you could have one like that, just sell me yours and you could get one!!!!
    (Sorry, couldn't resist!!:D )

14. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    That would be one of the few basses to tempt me to consider selling you my Curbow! ;)

Actually, I'm almost afraid of picking mine up now, after you played it. My Petite 5 will be so let down... :meh:

Tom.

15. BigJH

BigJH

Jan 20, 2001
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Stunning work. WOW! I bet that thing plays like buttah. Enjoy:bassist:

16. Dave Siff's Curbow Jazz 4 gave me the idea...

Mike

17. I must say, Mike, you took the idea and really built upon it! What a stunning bass! The pickguard, wood knobs and that gorgeous fretboard really make it happen. It's great to see the guys at Curbow still making such great stuff. Congratulations!

18. bassmonkeee

Sep 13, 2000
    Decatur, GA
    Yeah, well, I can think of worse things to be blamed for. :smug:

I think I'm going to be giving Doug a call in the near future about a Rockwood neck for one of my Bongos.... :bassist:

19. Jimbo

Jimbo

Dec 4, 2000
    Philadelphia, PA
    stunning bass!

the rockwood pickguard and knobs really set it off!

-jimbo

20. Gard

Gard Commercial User

Mar 31, 2000
    Greensboro, NC, USA
    General Manager, Roscoe Guitars
    Diamondwood = Rockwood = Phenowood

Yup, same stuff.

(Actually, Greg Curbow first suggested Keith try it for fingerboards, so props to Greg! He's missed in many places. :( )

And, oh yeah, that's a killer lookin' bass man, givin' me J bass GAS all over again! :eek: