Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Curbows

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Ryan Berry, May 9, 2002.

1. I have two questions:

1) What is the difference between a cort cubow and a curbow?

2) Are these basses as good as people keep telling me?

2. RedV

RedV

Mar 19, 2002
    Eustis, FL
    Greg CURBOW is a luthier. He builds the CURBOW guitars, which are very fine custom instruments but also cost quite a penny.

A CORT CURBOW is a bass made my Cort but designed by Greg Curbow. Also a very good bass for the money...only the money is around $600 for a sixer as opposed to $3K for a CURBOW.

Search for Curbow and you'll find plenty of reading. Both good instruments though.

Alex

3. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    While I'm sure that the real Curbows are much better, the Cort version is great.

The sixer feels great and sounds great too. It is without a doubt the most comfortable six string I have ever played.

If you arent one of these big bass spenders, but are looking for a good 6 I think its worth checking out.

If you are, then you should probably check out one of the real Curbows. I hear theyre incredible.

Peace
    Nick

4. neptoon

neptoon

Jul 25, 2000
    summerville, sc
    i dig mine.....a lot

5. Well i just bought a cort curbow 6 with burled walnut top on ebay today. I sure hope i like it.

6. neptoon

neptoon

Jul 25, 2000
    summerville, sc
    o O...i dig the walnut burl luthite...that's really cool looking...looks like wood, but that luthite sound. one interesting point...the cort curbows use a different mixture in their luthite than ibanez. and, honestly, i think they sound really awesome. a really punchy hi-fi tone, with a sizzly top end. not too comfortable sitting down with, but, put a strap on (i said strap on :rolleyes: :D ) and it's hangs great. and the bridges on these things are monsters...they really got the hardware right on these basses. and they come with barts! i own a usa curbow, but i'll never badmouth the corts...greg approves of them. nothing like the usa basses, but they're really apples and oranges. an awesome instrument in its own right.

7. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    "put a strap on and it hangs great" :eek:

dude, you've been in the navy too long :D.

8. neptoon

neptoon

Jul 25, 2000
    summerville, sc
    hey, you know the policy, jack....don't ask, don't tell! and don't read into my posts either ;)

9. Well it came today and its great! Its also very light but i guess thats the luthite.

10. RedV

RedV

Mar 19, 2002
    Eustis, FL
    Glad you like it! Post a review for us when ya get some miles on her:)

Alex

11. skaboy

skaboy

Oct 16, 2001
    NZ
    i have a cort curbow 4 string. It's a alright bass, actually a bit crap for some reasons. It looks fast being small but really if you sit and play the bass it occasionally falls off because the body is so tiny. Strap is the only way the play it. As for the tone is so so since it has only one pick up. Alright for some jazz/metal/christian normal playing but if you're going into slap it's crap. If you want to acheive a mark king/marcus miller warm fat sound you need 2 pick ups. As having 2 you would be albe to acheive more different sounds. Overall curt curbow is a crap bass and i was dumb at the time i purchased it.:(

12. bassmonkeee

bassmonkeee Supporting Member

Sep 13, 2000
    Decatur, GA
    That's funny. I always liked the slap tone of the Cort Curbow more than most other basses in the price range. It even has the slap circuit built into it. And, as for the problem of the body sitting well, I always have my bass strap set that the bass sits at the same height standing, or sitting. So, no problems there, either.

Sorry the bass isn't for you, but I don't think that makes it crap...

13. RedV

RedV

Mar 19, 2002
    Eustis, FL
    I'd say the difference between a Cort Curbow 4, and a 6 would be quite large due in fact to the electronics.

The bass you owned had a Mighty Mite pickup and electronics, where as a 6 would have a Bartolini pickup and Curbow designed electronics; a very nice system indeed.

In the time I owned one, I didn't really find a problem getting the 'slap tone' you speak of. Ya just can't be afraid to turn some knobs:)(and two screws by the contour switch)

Overall, I'd say try out the line before making a broad generalization such as 'cort curbow is a crap bass'.

Just an observation:)

Alex

14. I have one more question:
    Is it safe to put straplocks on these? I was only wondering because of the lkutite body, i didnt know if puting to bigger scrw into it would aplit the horn or something because it isnt wood.

15. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    I came pretty close to owning a Cort Curbow. So close, in fact that it came down to a Black Cort 5er and the X factor. The X turned out to be an MTD Kingston 5 I got from Gard at Bass Central. But I still do like the Corts. Nice bass, nice price. They sound very decent, and asice from the lap balance, I have no problem with them.

Nice little pieces of work.

16. Tsal

Tsal

Jan 28, 2000
    Finland, EU
    I've been thinking about a fretless 5 w/ Bartolini electronics. I can get new one for under 700e.

Oh well, the EQ upgrade for Kingsy comes first.

17. alx564

alx564

Jul 31, 2000
    Emmaus, PA
    I didn't want to make a new thread so I thought this fit in nicely.

I have an older Cort Curbow with the less the fantastic MightyMite pickups. I was just surfing on the Cort site and it has the pickups listed as Bartolini pickups. Have they changed the pickups to Bartolini's? I remember awhile back ago that there was some talk of it but I thought the idea fell through.

18. John Davis

John Davis Guest

Mar 27, 2001
    Houston, Texas
    My Cort Curbow came stock with Bart's...good sound. hehe :D

19. alx564

alx564

Jul 31, 2000
    Emmaus, PA
    Oh man, now I'm jealous. Well now I know what I have to do. I was gonna buy an Ibanez BTB406, but I don't really feel like spending all my money some I'm gonna but some new pups in my Curbow, just to follow the crowd.

20. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

The Cort 6 has always had a Bart pickup. They must have changed the others pretty recently. The Bart MK1 is the same system that the Lakland Skyline 55-01 has, except it has 2 pickups.