1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Cure for cancer?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by SpectorBass308, Aug 14, 2007.

1. Is it true that there may well be a possible and attainable cure for cancer but so much money is being made in the treatment that they do not want to lose money and therefore will not work for the cure?

2. dlloyd

dlloyd zzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Apr 21, 2004
    Scotland
    No

3. Rune Bivrin

Rune Bivrin Supporting Member

Oct 2, 2006
    Huddinge, Sweden
    It's not widely known, but all drug companies have entire departments devoted to denying conspiracy theories...

4. vbsurfer3001

vbsurfer3001

Jul 25, 2005
    VB,VA
    thereby adding even MORE fuel to the conspiracy fire ;)

5. millahh

millahh Supporting Member

Sep 20, 2005
    Hoboken
    No.

Remember that there is a huge amount of money being put into research towards treatment/cures, as well as in trying to figure out how to scale up the production of existing treatments (i.e. Taxol) so that more people can be treated.

I personally know several people who have devoted their careers to understanding more about this disease, and the devlopment of possible treatments. Pretty much any self-respecting research university is going to have some cancer research of some form or another going on. A consipiracy of the type you're proposing would be impossible to maintain, as anyone who went into that type of research (even as a grad student) would have to become complicit in it.

Disclaimer: I am a scientist at a pharma company, though we have no cancer therapies. The folks I know who do cancer reaearch were from grad school

6. Jared Lash

Jared Lash Born under punches Supporting Member

Aug 21, 2006
    Northern California
    Just another in the long list of conspiracy theories that won't die.

"There's a cure for cancer but the government is keeping it under wraps."
    "The moon landing was a fake."
    "The CIA had Kennedy killed."
    "The 9/11 attacks were coordinated by our own government."

I've been getting more and more dissatisfied with the U.S. government and I don't see that changing anytime soon, but the fact of the matter is that if I really thought, even briefly, that any of the above statements were true I couldn't continue to live in this country.

7. TrooperFarva

TrooperFarva

Nov 25, 2004
    New City, NY
    Think about it, sure there's a lot of money in cancer treatments, but the first company to cure cancer would have fortunes thrown at them left and right.

8. mellobud

mellobud

May 17, 2007
    I heard a comedian that made me laugh the other day...He said that we should give all uncured diseases to major political/world leaders and they would be cured within the month...

seriously though..I think that is a conspiracy theory but then again Im not sure.

Ive been told that Marijuana isnt legal because its a much better pain reliever with less side effects than what most major companies have out right now. (not sure I believe that one)

9. Baryonyx

Baryonyx Banned

Jul 11, 2005
    Marathon Man
    Smells like the whole "cure for HIV" thing...

10. Diggler

Diggler

Mar 3, 2005
    Western PA
    I think it's more likely that antivirus companies are manufacturing and releasing viruses to infect computers.

Cancer? Eh. Does it really matter? If cancer was wiped out, you'd eventually die of heart disease, or stroke, or something. If heart disease was wiped out, you'd eventually die of cancer or something.

We're all going to die.

11. Bryan316

Bryan316 Banned

Dec 20, 2006
    Detroit
    Canadians already confirmed that a drug used for MS is effective in killing off cancer cells. My brother (who is in school for the medical research laboratory sciences program) paid very very close attention to the news when it broke a few months ago, and he understood exactly what the report was detailing. He learned the process only that semester, and said yeah, this is an incredibly important discovery.

Conspiracy theory? No. The medically proven data is there, and is correct. The cure exists, but no drug company will touch it because:

1 - There is more money to be made in treatment than in cures.
    2 - The drug is public domain, meaning it cannot be patented as a cancer cure because it already existed as a treatment for MS.
    3 - It was discovered in Canada and the FDA will not touch nor allow foreign research as valid for American distribution. Only US-conducted tests will be valid.

And no, US drug companies aren't gonna legitimize a treatment that cannot bring them fortunes.

12. vbsurfer3001

vbsurfer3001

Jul 25, 2005
    VB,VA
    Aw Com'on EVERYBODY knows that it was Buzz Aldrin who put the hit on Kennedy, because he was pissed that he couldn't save his favorite hunting dog "chip" from cancer (Kennedy had the cure but took it to the grave). As a result, the space program couldn't really get up and running and they had to tape the moon landing in Buzz's backyard. Neil was Soooooo drunk, that he started rattling off a bunch of beatnik poetry, and the tape caught him saying the whole "one step" thing in the background. The guys pretty much kept it all under wraps for decades, until in early 1992, when they had to move all of the "set" from Buzz's basement. He also moved the rifle he used on the grassy knoll. Everything was secured in the 3rd sub-basement of the World Trade Center.

That's where the story gets hard to believe...Buzz was out on the town in Saudi Arabia, and bragged to some buddies about his "home movies" of the lunar landing, and "this totally awesome" rifle that was accurate and had the capability to fire "magic bullets". Well, not to be outdone, his Saudi buds tried to break into the 3rd sub-basement under the disguise of a terrorist plot. They failed miserably, mostly due to the fact that they hired some kooky one-eyed pickpocket to run the job. Well HIS buddies got so pissed off that they decided to tell the whole story to the press and that's where dick C & Rudy G come into the picture. Rudy finds out about the whole mess because ole Dick Cheney and he were tossing back a few in the office one day, after the usual manipulations of the stock market became too boring. Dick was pretty well into his cups and he lays out the whole sordid mess, how it all started. How he had to keep on cleaning up everybody else's messes.How he had helped keep all of the one-eyed dudes friends locked up in solitary these last 8 years, and that he was sick of it and wanted it all taken care of once and for all. Rudy made a deal to get rid of the evidence, permanently, in exchange for the 2008 nomination.....

the rest is history....

Now, about that bridge you wanted to buy, will that be cash or credit?

13. Jared Lash

Jared Lash Born under punches Supporting Member

Aug 21, 2006
    Northern California
    A tip of the cap to you sir . . .

;)

14. millahh

Sep 20, 2005
    Hoboken

Do you have a name or a reference for this?

15. No

Why? Because its basically impossible to stop cancer.

Mutations occur all the time along our genome, the vast majority of mutation occur in non-encoding regions of DNA (~98.5%) so it causes no problems. For a tumor to form, the P53 tumor suppressor gene is mutated (well, the suspected cause of more than 50% of all cancers). When a cells DNA mutates, the cell will try and fix the error, if it cannot and the mutated DNA is in an encoding the p53 tumor suppressor gene causes the cell to kill itself.
    Proto-oncogenes, oncogenes and tumor suppressor genes other than p53 are all part and parcel of how cancer can form (if a proto oncogene mutates and becomes an oncogene etc, or a tumor suppressor gene is mutated and no longer functions).

Hence, as cancer is a form of simple mutation, its not something that can really be wiped out totally. There are treatments, but there isnt going to be any magic which wipes cancer off the face of the planet.

16. Ericman197

Ericman197

Feb 23, 2004
    Iowa
    There is some truth to the conspiracy theory that those who make loads of money would not want a cheap cure available. However, I still don't buy it. If a cure really did exist, someone would spill the beans.

17. Ericman197

Ericman197

Feb 23, 2004
    Iowa
    So your guys have the HIV cure and we have the cancer cure eh?

18. millahh

Sep 20, 2005
    Hoboken
    1. The generic companies would be all over this. They are "vultures" and will do anything they can to be able to market something, and do it as quickly as legally possible. They sue the big drug companies (the ones who come up with the drugs) so that they can bring their generic copies to market more quickly. The idea that they're looking out for the profits of the "big boys" just doesn't hold alot of water.

2. A given drug can be approved for more than one indication. It happens all the time. It has to be proven effective for the new purpose, of course.

3. You are correct that the FDA needs data generated in the US. The agencies in each country have different standards as to what is acceptable, and how that is determined. So rather than simply taking another country's/company's word for it, they want the work done in the way that is most transparent to them.

19. Bryan316

Bryan316 Banned

Dec 20, 2006
    Detroit
    The "cure" they are claiming works is a drug that affects the length of time a human cell grows and lives, before it dies.

There's an internal timer, or trigger or chemical signal, that limits the length of a cell. ALL CELLS in the human body die in a regular cycle. Skin, muscle, bone, vessels, hair, nails... all in a cycle of roughly 3 months. The only kind of human tissue that does not naturally die and replenish itself is brain matter. Think about it... your whole body only lives for 3 months at a time.

The cells in your body need a trigger, a chemical indicator, to grow and live for a certain amount of time, and then it dies and another cell goes through mitosis to replenish it. It's basically a self-sustaining cell count. You don't grow more cells than your body is supposed to have, it naturally sustains the right number of cells you should have. When you get fat, you're not growing more fat body cells (lipids) your body is changing certain cells into lipid cells, with tons of extra fat in them. This is why bodybuilders can only grow so large, and must work to retain their size, because their muscles are naturally dying off all the time.

Kinda-sorta related topic: http://myostatindomains.com Myostatin is one of these triggers that regulates the body and keeps itself in check.

Back to cancer. Cancer cells are cells that have mutated, and they lose this chemical trigger that tells it how long it should live. It's kinda like having a puzzle piece in place. Cancer cells don't have that one puzzle piece. So instead of dying off, they stay mutated and keep going through mitosis, growing in numbers and forming tumors that choke off and kill surrounding tissues. Also, as the mutation grows, cells around the tumor mutate, effectively killing off that cell's usefulness in the human body. Cancer cells are cells that do nothing but grow and reproduce, and don't perform the functions that it was supposed to do. Such as converting CO2 to O2, creating hormones in your lymph nodes, giving locomotion to the body, or protecting the body from infection.

The drug in question, is an inhibitor that puts this puzzle piece into the cell, to stop its growth and regulate the cycle. So to stop the cancer cells, they flood your body with this drug.

Wait... won't that KILL all your body's cells? No, because that puzzle piece is already in place in normal cells. The drug only affects cells that have that slot open for the missing piece to be inserted from the drug. Which means this drug affects cancer cells and ONLY cancer cells, because all the rest of your body already follows its natural cycle.

This is all knowledge from my brother's textbooks. You can go find this at your college's bookstore if you don't believe me.

It is possible to stop cancer. Whether this drud can cure brain cancer remains to be seen.

20. Bryan316

Bryan316 Banned

Dec 20, 2006
    Detroit
    They DID. Hence the news revealing this months ago.