Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Cure for flabby B?

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by black_JB62, Aug 12, 2003.

1. black_JB62

black_JB62

Aug 10, 2003
    Tokyo
    Like some other guys on the Setup room, I have restrung my two JB's BEAD. Besides the few extra low notes, I also enjoy the effect of transposing parts to lower strings, which gives an overall thicker sound. If only I could get rid of the flabby B so I could finger it harder...

I know I'm kinda asking for a miracle, but is there any way to increase string tension for the B (or all the strings) on a 34" scale?

2. First and foremost I would say get thicker strings. Larger guage usually will create higher tension.

3. permagrin

permagrin

May 1, 2003
    San Pedro, CA
    Some strings have higher tension, there is some list somewhere on the net that lists the tension of strings (is it juststrings.com? try a search). In general, flats have higher tension than rounds. I had luck using Fender tapewounds, but iirc the tapewounds helped the intonation and my ability to adjust the action, not necessarily floppiness...

4. LM Bass

LM Bass

Jul 19, 2002
    Vancouver, BC
    For me, a thicker string isn't always the answer, but I have had good luck with LaBella's Hard Rockin' steel stings.
    Best,
    LM

5. redneck2wild

redneck2wild

Nov 27, 2002
    Memphis, TN
    www.juststrings.com sells single strings including a .145 Ken Smith B.

I bet that the .145 will have more tension than the B string that you are currently using. You may find the tension to be too thick for a Low B. I use one on a Bass that I tune ADGC - massive low end.

If going to a .145 sounds too extreme, you may try another string thicker than what you are currently using (such as a .135 or a .140).

6. maybe get a multilam neck thats stronger?

but i also vote for the thicker string i dear