1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Cure Sound on Bass VI/Hellcat VI?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by kenstee, Oct 14, 2009.

1. kenstee

kenstee

Oct 9, 2009
    Looking to get a Cure-like sound on a Hellcat VI. What pedals/brands would be best to do this? Which to get first? Thanks!

2. kenstee

kenstee

Oct 9, 2009
    Thanks. Just looking to explore some of sound - not clone it.

3. Kestrel

Kestrel

Sep 21, 2009
    Chorus and Delay effects are what you'll need to get that "Disintegration" era Robert Smith sound with your Hellcat VI. If you can only get one pedal for now get a chorus pedal. As far as brand goes, there are several chorus pedals that can get you that sound you want. I currently do it with an Electro-Harmonix Small Clone. For delay I use a Stereo Memory Man w/Hazarai with a short repeat setting, but the same thing can be acheived by a number of digital delays from several brands: Ibanez, Digitech, Boss, etc..

Robert likes Boss pedals and he's used a number of Boss chorus pedals (Boss CE-2, CH-1 and CE-5). Last I knew he was using the CE-5 Chorus Ensemble. For delay he uses the Boss DD-3 and he also states that he uses a touch of noise gate to cut off the delay.

Keep in mind, however, that a large part of his signature sound came from the 1962 Fender Bass VI he played. He's a Schecter man now and in addition to his signature Ultracure guitar he also had a custom 6-string bass version of the Ultracure made for him by Schecter. Doesn't quite have the same Bass VI sound, but it works for him. The Hellcat VI was designed with input from Perry Bamonte (who played guitar with The Cure for a while) and Robert Smith. Very cool instrument indeed and it can do a good job of emulating that Cure-esque sound your looking for.

Here's a link to an interview with Robert Smith (from April 2000) where he briefly discussed the Bass VI and the effects used to get his sound.

http://www.musicfanclubs.org/cure/pr...r_gardens.html