1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Cured of GAS again, at least 4 now

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by coyote1, Jul 17, 2012.

1. coyote1

coyote1

Mar 23, 2012
    Quick history: Past few months I've been gassin' for basses. I'm not playing bass in a band, but for some reason I've really been seeking out new possibilities. Started when I happened upon a great deal on a Laguna OCEAN fretless 4. Sounded great, felt great, looked nice, neck-thrul. Wonderful! More on that later.

That set me looking around a bit. Happened upon an Ibanez BTB1206 in near-new condition. Got it.

Still looking around. But the OCEAN bass had originally exhibited a slight buzz, and that buzz increased quickly. Turned out the trussrod was completely unbound in the neck. Returned the bass.

Still looking. Played a Ric 4003 that was awesome. Went back when there was a 15% off sale... but not only was the Ric on the exempt list, it had the same across-the-neck buzz I'd heard in the Ocean bass! Meanwhile, over the past few months I'd played a plethora of different basses. From Schecters to Warriors to everything else. And I'm finding that virtually all of 'em have some glaring weakness or problem that pushes me away.

It's a good thing. I really don't need 'em to begin with, and saving the $$$ is a plus.

2. jlepre

jlepre

Nov 12, 2007
    Parsippany, NJ
    Buy an EBMM bass (Bongo, Stingray, Sterling) and call it a day. The best NON boutique basses period!