1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Curing the Neck Dive from Hell

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by theworldismad, May 3, 2010.

1. theworldismad

theworldismad

Oct 11, 2009
    I saw this beautiful bass (5 string hollow-body telecaster shape) and decided to buy it, despite the fact that everything about this bass screamed neck dive... and I just blew it off. Once I strapped it on the instrument literally rocketed to the floor. I love the tone of this bass (with the thick booming be string chugging out of those hollow sound chambers), but i am gonna have to let it go if the neck dive keeps up. Does anyone know of anything that could help ease this neck dive, or is it time to move on?:help:

2. Time Consumer

Time Consumer

Jan 27, 2008
    Joliet Ill.
    All I can think of would be to get lighter tuners, sounds like the easiest way.

3. mikeddd

mikeddd

Nov 12, 2009
    San Antonio, TX
    Counterweight at bottom of bass...maybe on the strap? Lightweight tuners?

4. Tele shape and hollow. That's your problem.

5. GtenderG

GtenderG

Feb 29, 2008
    You could move the Strap pin by the bridge up a bit....

6. RED J

RED J Lol

Jan 23, 2000
    Full scales w/o an upper horn at fret 12.......problematic.

7. Darkstrike

Darkstrike Return Of The King!

Sep 14, 2007
    Strap pin extension, weight in the control cavity, Hipshot Ultralight tuners, a heavy bridge, if it dosen't have one already, and keep your hand on the neck.

8. Bevo1995

Bevo1995

Nov 8, 2009
    Heart o' Texas
    Strap button extension on the horn: looooong screw + strap button + aluminum tube. Easier, cheaper, and readily available at a hardware store.

9. angrydad

angrydad

Jul 31, 2004
    annville,pa.
    Stienberger basses,and I believe,Bolin basses,get around the "no upper horn"/bad balance issue,by offering a supplemental piece ("arm"),that attaches at the neck bolt area and extends to the 12 fret,where a standard Fender strap button would reside. Years ago,a local bassist made one for his Warwick Thumb bass,with great results.

10. superiorpine

superiorpine Superiorpine Gold Supporting Member

Jul 31, 2007
    Milwaukee WI
    I had the same problem with a tele style bass. I moved the strap pins, the back one up a few inches, the front one to the neck plate, and used an extended neck screw to hold it. Then, bought one of those Italia 4 inch leather straps. Still dives, but can be controlled. The Italia strap has been great. Just got softer over time.

11. FunkMetalBass

FunkMetalBass

Aug 5, 2005
    Phoenix, Arizona 85029
    Endorsing Artist: J.C. Basses
    1. Go to walmart.
    2. Buy assortments of led fishing weights for ~$1 apiece.
    3. Tape them up and put them into your control cavity.
    4. Enjoy the lack of neckdive.

12. Jim Carr

Jim Carr Dr. Jim Gold Supporting Member

Jan 21, 2006
    Denton, TX or Kailua, HI
    fEARful Kool-Aid dispensing liberal academic card-carrying union member Musicians Local 72-147
    I have two words for you: "Hootenanny Button." :bassist:

13. joshmickelson

joshmickelson

Nov 19, 2008
    Denver, CO
    +1 for italia straps

14. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    Here's a neck-diving bass with the Steinberger strap hook extender:

[​IMG]

15. theworldismad

theworldismad

Oct 11, 2009
    I just solved this neck dive problem. I bought a thick leather strap with another layer of suede that really sticks to the shoulder well. I then replaced the front strap button with a strat lock and kept the back button as just a button. This new setup made a world of difference... Now its time for me to go and enjoy that beautiful breathy semi-hollow sound.

16. Maybe you can stick a three foot long peg in the tail and play it vertically?

Even though I am in re-love with my Fender S/P, I find sitting down is the least painful position in which to play it. I figure that's what that lower cutaway is for - to sit on my leg.

But I'm old and don't have the strength to wrestle with a bass these days. You 're results may not be the same - but objects in the rear view mirror appear smaller than they really are. Translation: You'll get older too.

17. a fretless JJ Warlock? Wow. Just wow :D not laughing (admit to once having a warlock), only amazed

18. well all the reasonable choices are told. I'd say:
    -Hipshot Ultralites and maybe a lighter string retainer if any;
    -lower neck-side strap pin, maybe attached to the back of the lower horn (you will want to try several times before you make a hole, maybe temporarily attach it with duct tape until you've found the optimal point);
    -wider (at the shoulder) non-slipping strap, maybe with suede underside.
    I wouldn't stand up to weights in the body for several reasons, but you may want to try counterweigh on the strap.
    A heavier bridge may be a decision but who will say how that would affect the sound of a hollowbody

19. m.oreilly

m.oreilly

Jul 5, 2006
    Ukiah, CA
    them must be pretty when they are lit.

20. *be string*
    TB delivers.