1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Curing time for Nitro Clear Coat?

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by gjbassist, May 15, 2011.

1. What is the general consensus for curing time before final sanding on nitro clear coat? The ReRanch site says: "After allowing the instrument to dry at least three days (with nitrocellulose lacquer, the longer the better) final sanding and polishing can be done." Three days seems too short. I have read other info that said as much as 30 days. What is your experience?

2. Beej

Beej

Feb 10, 2007
    Victoria, BC
    My super-scientific method is "whenever I can't smell the solvents anymore". For where I live, it's about two weeks...

3. Musiclogic

Musiclogic Commercial User

Aug 6, 2005
    Southwest Michigan
    Owner/Builder: HJC Customs USA, The Cool Lute, C G O
    Usually after 3 or 4 days you can crack the finish with a quick 800 grit leveling, and this will allow the finish to continue to gas off for about 10 - 12 more days, then you can start your wet sanding(in most cases). As Beej said, no more solvent smell is a good indicator, temperature and humidity can play a big role also. Cooler temps(under 72 degrees F) and higher humidity can slow the process.

4. Jazzdogg

Jazzdogg Less barking, more wagging!

Jul 29, 2006
    San Diego, CA
    My rule of thumb is ~200 hours

5. Reranch 101 says about 3 days. The general consensus from long time reranch forum members and users is 30 days. Some cut that short, but most of the guys that do alot of refins stick to the 30 day time frame. In my experience cutting it short can lead to shrinking and slight loss of gloss. I actually sand and polish early on some relic builds to get the effect intentionally.