1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Curious about the amount of Hartke LH1000/LH500 in Classified

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Bassman7PM, Nov 29, 2010.

1. Bassman7PM

Bassman7PM

Mar 13, 2006
    Chicago, IL
    I haven't had the opportunity to try either the Hartke LH1000 or LH500, however when I'm looking at the TB classifieds there seems to be an abundance of folks flipping these. Whats the story?

2. I have the 500 and have no plans on flipping mine. I think its the perfect no frills head out now. Maybe some people like all the extra switches and knobs offered on other heads. I am happy with bass mid treble and volume. And at 349.00 ya can't go wrong.

3. rpsands

rpsands

Jul 6, 2007
    Phoenix, AZ
    The story is bass players buy and sell **** a lot in proportion to the rate that they surf talkbass ;)

4. jnewmark

jnewmark Just wanna play the groove. Supporting Member

Aug 31, 2006
    Stax 1966
    Third St. Cigar Records staff musician.
    G.A.S

5. jasper383

jasper383

Dec 5, 2004
    Durham NC
    Bass players are gear whores, and have moved on to the next big thing. :)

The LH heads are really nice. If they fit what you're looking for tone-wise, buy with confidence.

6. MingusBass

MingusBass Commercial User

Sep 27, 2004
    Fort Wayne,Indiana
    Sweetwater Sound-Sales
    I sold my LH1000 a couple months ago simply because I had too much good stuff and I didn't want such a great head just sitting there not being used. I purchased the LH and then a couple months later got a great deal on a SVT-VR, so the LH wasn't being used.

That being said, the LH heads are one of the best values in bass amplification. They sound absolutely great!

7. bazzanderson

bazzanderson

Oct 7, 2002
    Austin, TX
    NOTHING wrong with the LH series at all! I only sold my LH1000 because of the weight (wanted to get back to a micro amp). The LH series is a depedable, easy to use, cheap & LOUD bass amp.

8. pedroims

pedroims

Dec 19, 2007
    Michigan
    I sold my LH500 because I needed money... great amp. Haven't replace it yet , I would get another one if I have the money.

9. sleepytime

sleepytime

Nov 10, 2007
    Chicago, IL
    I had also noticed the number of these in the classifieds, and to tell the truth, I was a bit apprehensive when I was hooking it up to give it that first listen. This amp isn't going anywhere. I nearly wept with joy when I heard the sound of this amp. I have gotten nothing but enthusiastic approval from the people I've played with since getting it.

I think there may be several reasons for the resales. Primarily, they were somewhat of the darling of the TB community for a while, the new thing to have. There are a lot of people here who can afford to buy the latest thing just out of curiosity. Once purchased, the reality is that these are not boutique amps with all the bells and whistles. They are heavy compared to all the latest micro amps. They are simple and somewhat limited, and if you find they are not for you, you move on.

No amp can do it all, and the simpler the amp, perhaps the smaller the ideal audience. I had actually been in the market for a GK 700RB-II when I bought the LH500. Admittedly, there are a couple of features on the GK that I wish the Hartke had. Speakon outputs, mute switch...I wouldn't mind having a separate gain and master volume and a little more tone control.

But even there, we are comparing a $350 amp with a $600 amp. And one thing the Hartke is definitely not lacking is tone. The GK has more tone versatility, but it can't get this solid LH500 tone no matter how much you fiddle with all those knobs. Paired with a P with flats, the LH500 just rules, even through an Avatar Neo B210, which is not exactly boutique, either. The Hartke simply owned a $1000 Ampeg SVT-3 Pro through the same cab. Plug it in and turn it on, they are made for each other. I am sure there are other combinations that don't work as well, or aren't what someone else is looking for.

So I am glad this amp was available. For a couple hundred bucks, even I could afford to take a chance, and it worked out splendidly. If you are looking for an amp to give you a warm, deep, powerful sound, check one out. I have no complaints so far. I may even pick up another one for a backup.

10. samc2527

samc2527

Nov 21, 2010
    Austin, TX
    I have the LH1000 and love it...although it is the sole reason my rack case is over 100lbs

11. vicvarado

vicvarado

May 10, 2008
    Sabinal, Texas

I bought Bazzanderson's LH1000 a week or two ago and I got a chance to gig it this weekend... fantastic! I thought it was warm and round. Yes that statement might seem somewhat generic, but that's the best description I feel I can provide. I wanted something that would sound clean and full, this does it. I'm almost sure I could have gotten along well with the LH500 but now I can do an over-kill on cabs...:bag:

It also took very well to my Tone Hammer I'm very pleased to announce. I'm no tone guru, yet, so mostly all I can say is that I'm pleased. It's the only thing in my SKB 8 space rack and well it's heavy. I can totally understand wanting to go lighter, considering that there are very powerful micro amps that can put out power and tone.

In the price range of these heads, new or used, you'd be hard pressed to find something that can push cabs like these can and sound great doing it. IMO as humble as it should be. Yes, I realize it was one gig but it was quite a few full rehearsals as well.

I went from an Ashdown Mag300 head to this, the 300 is great at low volume for a warmish and rounded sound, it has not been at full band volume. It's tone would get harsh for lack of a better description, it was great for some rock songs, but not for our more laid back tunes, once again IMO. Perhaps a savvier player could have eq'd it to work, but I think it was simply a lack of clean headroom. Point being that this head cost me more than my near mint LH1000 from the TB classifieds, which to me sounds much better.

12. Probably too plain for people's taste. I've had an LH500 for over 3 years, and I find it hard to really change the sound that much. All the tones you get from it are good, but it's hard to tell much of a difference. No mids.

I don't see how people can call 25 pounds heavy, old bad back or not.

13. bazzanderson

bazzanderson

Oct 7, 2002
    Austin, TX
    Glad to hear you're liking it, Vic! I do miss it but I'm having a great time with my Carvin BX500.

14. :eek::eek::eek:

There aren't even any tubes in there!

15. jazz3625tonic

jazz3625tonic Supporting Member

Sep 28, 2003
    Canada
    I love my LH1000. I can't recall the exact weight but it's roughly 30 lbs. so that translates to 70 lbs left over in the rack. I'm getting up there in age and 30 lbs. is not heavy to me.... and the cost, tone, and all that power?..... it's a no-brainer.

16. vicvarado

vicvarado

May 10, 2008
    Sabinal, Texas
    That's great to hear Barry!

17. vicvarado

vicvarado

May 10, 2008
    Sabinal, Texas
    That's true I feel that in the weight vs. benefits argument that the benefits far out weigh the heft of the LH1000 as well. However, from lurking around here for a couple years on TB, if there's something light(er), fairly powerful, sounds good, and is affordable(?) that it's hard to keep a TB'er from getting it. :D

18. I have had one for the past three years(LH500). Solid clean warm tone. Sold it cause I did want to get a head that I could drive the tube a little and want some extra mid sculpting without having pedals. Having said that it is a great sounding, loud hybrid head. If I ever have any spare $ laying around I will buy one back for the sake of having one.