Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

curious about the Mesa 400+

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Boozy, Dec 2, 2002.

1. Boozy

Boozy

Apr 29, 2002
    Kelowna BC, Canada
    Hey everybody..

I was hoping someone could list some bands with bassists who use the 400+ and maybe some songs that would make for good examples of the tone achieved with this all tube head.

I'm just really curious as to what these monsters sound like (I have just read and read and continue to constantly read about how good the 400+ sounds - and how heavy it is!)..

anyways, i'd really like to hear some examples..

the more the marrier!! and and all types of music too.. please dont hold back.. i'd really like to hear as many examples as possible.

thanks very much, greatly appreciated :)

2. Rockbobmel

Rockbobmel Supporting Member

I think they weigh around 45 lbs. That's 40lbs lighter than an SVT! My Eden preamp/poweramp weighs 40lbs.
    Te Mesa 400+ sounds like my Bassman 135 with a mountain of headroom. Te 6L6 sound is full, tight, and clean. It's like a SS amp that sounds like tubes.
    The voice cuts through the mix very easily. I have to back mine off a bit because I moved to the other side of the stage all by myself, and it's hard to hear the guitar and keys on the other side of the drummer. You can blend gain/master to taste for more grind.
    John Myung fom Dream Theater uses one or two, but I think he uses a lot of effects added.

3. boogiebass

boogiebass

Aug 16, 2000
    McCartney has used a 400 (predecessor to the 400+) for many years.

4. justin chancellor of Tool uses one as part of his recording rig.

5. Caca de Kick

Caca de Kick Supporting Member

Nov 18, 2002
    Seattle / Tacoma
    I have 2 of these (older) Mesa 400 heads that I've been playing since 1990. They're a bit 'weighty', but not bad, you can carry it with one hand.
    The sound is very focused and clear. Tons of headroom. The lows are explosive, with mids that cut through any guitar you ever come across.

Guys that use/have used Mesa heads off the top of my head (pun) :
    Paul McCartney
    Les Claypool
    John Myung from Dreamtheater
    Jack Blades from Night Ranger/Damn Yankees
    Pat from Extreme
    Robert DeLeo from STP uses them off and on
    Mike Starr from Alice in Chains
    Kim from Sonic Youth
    Justin Chancellor from Tool
    Greg Montoya from Everclear
    Ben Shepard from Soundgarden

6. They must be pretty good, try and find a new one in a store. The best I can do is to order one and hope for it by mid Feb of 03.

7. Rockbobmel

They're on ebay all the time.

8. Well, not at the present time I guess. I would really like to buy new as the used price doesn't seem to be that much lower.

9. 64jazzbass

64jazzbass Supporting Member

Sep 5, 2002
    Chicago, Il
    I've got a used one inexc. cond. for $850.00 if you're interested you can reach me at shbeals@aol.com. includes rack case as well

10. Rockbobmel

I saw one at a GC and it looked like it was dropped. Bent ear, scratches. Plus it has chinese tubes in it. $1,299.
    Someone here had two, and he was selling the new one with or without Svetlanas.
    It's prolly gone.
    They had 3 on ebay this past week.

11. boogiebass

boogiebass

Aug 16, 2000
    I also have a very good early 400+ for sale. 8 bones and you pay shipping.

12. Rockbobmel

Why are you guys dumping them?
    I think they're keepers.

13. Rickenbackerman

Rickenbackerman

Apr 17, 2001
    Laurel MD
    I know why I dumped mine - because of my '73 SVT. :D

14. boogiebass

boogiebass

Aug 16, 2000
    I've got two on hand right now and a '70 SVT. I need to unload one o' the 400+'s.