Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Curious. . . Has anyone sold a bass here?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by DaveCustomMade, Mar 7, 2005.

1. Just curious to know how many people have sold a bass on here [this forum in the 'for sale' section] other than ones that cost a few hundred dollars. Anyone ever see a bass sell for more than $2,000 US dollars?

2. I haven't personally, but plenty of them get moved. It just takes the right person at the right time... oh, and nice pics.

3. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

Plenty of people have. I bought my Nordstrand SC5 used from Hman for $2500.

I have seen quite a few basses sell for over $1500.

4. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    I purchased my Elrick fretted singlecut for $2400 from TB. I purchased another Elrick from a TBer (although it wasn't directly through the classifieds) for $2000.

5. Oh. . . ok. I just was looking in there and really didn't see any titles that had "Sold" on there. I assume that is what happens when one DOES get sold so people know the post is finished.

A side note, what do you suppose [especially answer if you have shipped a bass before] it would cost to ship a bass?

By the way, I have nothing to sell, I'm just curious. :)

6. Depends entirely on where you ship it from, how far its going, and how heavy it is. Generally for me they ship between 20 and 40 dollars UPS through a UPS hub.

7. tim99

tim99 Supporting Member

Jan 28, 2003
    And you would be...wrong. I wish more people updated their listings.

8. tim99

tim99 Supporting Member

Jan 28, 2003
    If I take a bass to a UPS store and they pack it in a cardboard box with packing materials and ship it it costs around $65 total for the packing and shipping.

9. Thanks guys for the 'ballpark' idea of what shipping costs. It's good to know that if, at some point down the road, I ever decided to sell a bass, it IS an option here, and the shipping wouldn't be extravagant [relatively speaking]. :smug:

10. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    You can't alter the title of a thread you start unless you ask a moderator to do it for you-that's why you don't see SOLD in many of the titles.

And always ship through a UPS or FedEx hub if you can-the stores that offer their services sometimes jack up the price way too much.

11. Ah! Thank you Bryan for that input. That's right, we can't change our titles of our threads. I wonder why the mods don't allow that function? Oh well, thanks for the replies!