Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Curious how many also play guitar...

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by burgerme, Mar 12, 2006.

1. burgerme

burgerme

Mar 3, 2006
    I'm a converted guitar guy, and I just wondered how many of you guys also play guitar, whether you started on it or the bass. Also curious what you play...

Currently, I play Martin Acoustics and Musicman (Ernie Ball) electrics, but I really miss my PRS Custom and my Ovation Custom Legend 12-string...:bassist:

2. Started on bass.

I can play "Rock Lobster" on guitar...does that count for anything?

3. AxtoOx

AxtoOx

Nov 12, 2005
    Duncan, Okla.
    Started on guitar 30 yrs ago
    PRS modern eagle
    PRS custom 22
    Gibson Les Paul Studio
    MIA Strat
    MIM Strat
    Martin D16GT

4. I play a guitar that I built myself. I started guitar many years after bass.

[​IMG]

5. Turock

Turock Supporting Member

Apr 30, 2000
    Melnibone
    I got my first guitar 43 years ago. I have "tinkered" around on one ever since.

6. keb

keb

Mar 30, 2004
    I had started on guitar just a little before I started on bass (though piano was my first.) Guitar was always kinda second fiddle to my bass duties and desires over the years, but over the last couple years or so I've been starting to play more guitar. These days I just have my old Fender Duo-Sonic that's seen some upgrades and a Yamaha acoustic, but I'm looking to add a Strat, maybe a Tele, a classical, and a Rickenbacker 12-string to those down the road.

7. Jazzin'

Jazzin' ...Bluesin' and Funkin'

I'm able to play guitar, but I don't. I played guitar for a while during my early bass playing days.

8. Trevorus

Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    Dude, build me one. That is cool!!!

9. burgerme

burgerme

Mar 3, 2006
    Yes, I agree, that is an extremely cool looking guitar... What'd you use for pickups?

10. Mark Wilson

Mark Wilson Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jan 12, 2005
    Toronto, Ontario
    Endorsing Artist: Elixir® Strings
    They look like Duncans.

I play guitar. I'm taking a class on guitar. I have a 90% currently haha. We learn alot of Jazz Chords. It helps my theory alot as well.

-Mark

11. Matt Call

Matt Call Supporting Member

Aug 1, 2004
    Minneapolis, MN
    I started on electric. After owning one for a year and never playing it; I decided to switch to bass. Somewhere along the line I started playing the acoustic I inherited when my mom died (Penco). I started playing more and more and then bought a thinline tele, and a Takamine acoustic.

The acoustic was stolen, and the tele was sold to fund my Bongo.

I guess I have maybe one or two "solid" years of guitar playing experience. People always comment on my picking (and how bass players finger pick on acoustic in general). Anyone else have that experience?

I'm planning on picking up a new electric this summer (John Mayer Strat looks tasty...)

12. AxtoOx

AxtoOx

Nov 12, 2005
    Duncan, Okla.
    I'm not sure the signature models are worth the extra money, that's up to you. I have an MIA mahogany body I really like. Goes for standard MIA price. You may not like the color though Red, Black pick guard, Black headstock, Silver lettering. I like it, a little different.

13. Started on bass, moved to guitar:

Schecter Hot Rod
    Fender MIA acoustic
    Fender MIM strat
    Martin O-16 New Yorker

Rock on
    Eric

14. barthanatos

barthanatos Insert witty comment here

Feb 8, 2006
    South Carolina
    Started on guitar.

Taylor 714ce
    Takamine 12-string
    Ibanez Prestige electric
    Ovation Celebrity Deluxe

15. Buck Naked

Buck Naked

Jul 24, 2005
    Austin Texas
    I have a Fender Strat that I love and an acoustic electric Takamine that I use for to play slide. I am actually looking to start a band where the bass and the guitar can share duties.

16. phxlbrmpf

phxlbrmpf

Dec 27, 2002
    Germany
    I started on acoustic guitar but when they let me join my first real band as a bass player, I devoted most of my practice time on bass.
    I own a rather cheap classical guitar (I like it a lot, though) and a Hohner Les Paul copy. I don't even own a guitar amp at the moment, if I need distortion, I'll use one of my bass effects pedals.

17. The Eristic

The Eristic Supporting Member

Mar 19, 2005
    Cartersville, GA
    I'm about 50/50. I play guitar in my current band, but I've done just as many sessions on bass as I have on guitar, and I teach both almost every day.

I have a LOT more guitars than basses (somewhere around forty guitars and basses, total, mostly because I brutalize people at pawn shops, GC, yard sales, etc, to get great stuff for next to nothing), primarily because it's difficult to find basses that please me without spending a LOT of money. Fortunately, I've lucked out and picked up a couple Roscoes fairly cheap, so they'll have to do ;) till I have the money to order a couple custom pieces.

I've also become extremely interested in extended range instruments. I get the feeling something like an 8 or 9-string guitar/bass hybrid would work out well for me, as long as the spacing is reasonably wide.

18. WalterBush

WalterBush

Feb 27, 2005
    Yuma, Az
    I play guitar in one of my bands. It's a JJ, I forget the model, strung as a baritone AEADGB.
    http://jjguitars.co.uk

Great axes. I also have an Ibanez S from the late '80s.

19. I started playing guitar, then started playing bass soon after, stuck to bass, started playing guitar again recently, even got a nice little amp to replace the starter one i had

[​IMG]

20. Ívar Þórólfsson

Ívar Þórólfsson Mmmmmm... Supporting Member

Apr 9, 2001
    Kopavogur, Iceland
    I just fiddle around on an acoustic guitar I bought.

It´s just good to know how to play it, know all the chords etc.
    Comes in handy when the guitarist is fiddling with a new song... you can at least just look at his hands to see what chord he´s playing.

Bought this one just after Christmas:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]