Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

curious quote

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by frederic b. hodshon, Jul 30, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. frederic b. hodshon

frederic b. hodshon Supporting Member

May 10, 2000
    Lake Forest, CA
    None.
    i read this in a recent interview with a bassist that shall remain nameless.

"I am looking for companies that stand behind their artists in terms of endorsements."

this made me think he/she is looking for free gear.

maybe i'm wrong. i'm in the dark when it comes to endrosements. so, i may not fully understand the innerworkings of such deals.

from what i DO know, i'd rather not be straddled to one company for a particular bass or strings or amps, etc.

but, then, i haven't been offered a full rig for free as long as i played it.

i dunno. am i off base here?

f

2. stinkyrypoo

stinkyrypoo Guest

Jul 1, 2002
    north florida, USA
    I think people who stick with one company suck.
    Most companies who make basses (and/or guitars) and amps usually arent very good. Take dirk lance (incubus) for example, Plays warwick's (sponsored) plays eden's (sponsored)-he is good, P-nut (311) plays warwick's (sponsored) plays swr cabs (sponsored)- he is also good. (not a bashing contest) Feildy, plays ibanez peices (only sponsor) not so good. You see what im saying?

3. I was thinking about being endorsed by Fender. But I think I'd rather be an endorser of amps. Ampeg to be specific. On stage I'd like to play Warwicks (don't own any yet), Stingrays (don't own any yet), and Fenders (ah ha have one). Good thing I don't have to make this decision today.

4. Make sure that you get more than one endorsement deal... you don't want to run the risk of "sucking" by having only one. :confused:

5. Maybe they endorse the company because that's what they like.

6. lo-end

lo-end

Jun 15, 2001
    PA
    I don't think that has anything to do with it. I know plenty of great bassists in underground bands that do not have any endorsement deals and they don't suck.

And I think fIeLdY endorses Mesa/Boogie anyway.

7. boomerang

boomerang Guest

Dec 9, 2001
    Canada

I too read that article....I don't want to mention any names either.

On a totally unrelated note, has anybody read the new interview on the talkbass front page? :D

8. CaracasBass

CaracasBass

Jun 16, 2001
    Madrid, Spain
    Don´t think so......I´ve seen him in many Ampeg ads and catalogs.

9. cassanova

cassanova

Sep 4, 2000
    Florida

no i dont see what you're saying?

you say most companies that make basses and amps usually arent any good, but you mention warwick, eden, and swr, even Ibanez, 4 companies that put out a good product.

I think people that make blanket statements like that one suck. but thats just IMO

10. frederic b. hodshon

frederic b. hodshon Supporting Member

May 10, 2000
    Lake Forest, CA
    None.
    doesn't that apply to this:

just curious.

f

11. cassanova

cassanova

Sep 4, 2000
    Florida
    yeah guess im guilty....so to avoid any further problems with this thread, ill just close it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.