Discussion in 'Bows and Rosin [DB]' started by TizzleNizz, Feb 26, 2004.

1. when u guys go out to buy a new bass, do you bring your bow with you? or do you buy a new bow with the bass?
    i know theres not a wrong answer, just curious
  2. Chasarms

Chasarms Casual Observer

May 24, 2001
    Bettendorf, IA USA
    When you play a bass that you are considering purchasing, you want to give yourself the best idea possible of how it sounds, feels, responds, etc.

You give yourself the best chance of doing that by being a comforable as possible. Since you should already have some idea of the character of your bow, I think you'll get a better sense of the bass using it rather than borrowing one off the rack to try the bass. Best case, I say take your bow with you.

Grabbing your bow as you go out the door is no big deal and you'll be grad you did.

It's kinda like going to shop for a new amp and testing them with a BG off the rack. If you hear something funky, how do you know if it is the bass or the amp?
  3. Wyzird05

Dec 1, 2003
    South Bend, IN
    I agree with the above, make things as easy and comfortable as possible.
  4. Tim Ludlam

Tim Ludlam

Dec 19, 1999
    Carmel, IN
    I would go one step further. Yes I would take my own bows to test drive a new bass, but once I have my decision down to a couple of basses, I am going to take one home with me for a week before I make a decision.

I don't know if this is a luxury, but their is an implicit trust with my luthier/bass dealer. I live two hours away, and he has no problem with this arrangement. Granted, I am talking about basses in the 10K range. He might be a little more hesitant if I picked up a Testore and told him I'd see him in a week.

My point is, this is a big investment. The bass dealer, if he is worth his wait in salt, should allow you this privilege.
  5. I bought my bow at the same time I bought my bass. I had the chance to try eight identical french bows to select the one I wanted. All eight bow blanks were made by Sam Kolstein before he left this world. I've never regretted my choice in bows tho I do sometimes question the bass choice.