Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Curly (Masur) Birch top wood!

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by Ob1, Apr 8, 2003.

1. I'm sorry to post without having any questions but I just had to show you this wood! It's curly birch, from Swedish Lapland (northernmost part of Sweden). The figuring is caused by a genetic defect in som of the birches, and is quite uncommon.

[​IMG]

2. Suburban

Suburban

Jan 15, 2001
    lower mid Sweden
    Though not all that uncommon, I'm quite surprised that you got such a wide piece! They are usually less than 150 mm wide, and rarely figured throughout, like yours.
    Looking nice, indeed, and I must say how I like the Finnish luthiers urge to use lokal wood: splendid!

3. pilotjones

pilotjones Supporting Member

Nov 8, 2001
    US-NY-NYC
    Marleaux has used it also:
    [​IMG]

4. Yeah getting a lare enough slab was a PITA...only place in Finand that had some was WAY too expensive, but I found a guy in sweden (www.masurmannen.com) who was a bit more reasonable. The slab was originally 500x300x60mm, and it cost me around 60€ (~600SEK). That dude alo knew the value of good customer relations! Whenever I mailed him a question it took no more than a day to answer, and I mailed him around 10 times.

Oh, the rest of the bass is made from ash (body core) wenge (center of neck and body accent lamination) red beech (sides of neck) and ebony (fingerboard). I'll post a pic to give you a hint:

[​IMG]

As you can see I've taken some inspiration from Marleaux !

5. christoph h.

christoph h.

Mar 26, 2001
    Germany
    neuser also offers this wood for a top.

6. Suburban

Suburban

Jan 15, 2001
    lower mid Sweden
    Neuser is fennoslovakian, meaning buy (material aquisition) and sell is in Finland, build is in Slovakia.
    They claim that the wood selection is a result of the founders time in Finland...

OTOH, Warwick also sell pieces with masur tops.:bassist:

7. christoph h.

christoph h.

Mar 26, 2001
    Germany
    yeah, i knew that. i always wondered how this affects the prices. anyway, great instruments.

8. rockbassist1087

rockbassist1087 Guest

Nov 29, 2002
    Long Island, NY

Thats different. I've never seen a curly birch top, or even a birch top.

9. I don't know the exact reasons behind it, but I find Neuser basses to be quite "cheap", for what you get (which is, as you said, a great instrument).