Current draw of Ampeg tubies

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by nil, Jan 18, 2001.

1. Hello,

Can anyone tell me the current draw (in VA) of the following amps?

- b25b
    - v4b
    - svt (vintage and cl)
    - b-15N / any portaflex

I'm thinking of trying to pick an oldie up from the US at some stage, but since we're 240v here in NZ I need to figure out a step-down that can deliver enough herb to the amp.

2. Hey nil!
    The only one I know anything about is the SVT. Mine's a '76 and on the back it says max current draw is 6A at 120 V, which would be 720 VA. I'd get at least a 1kVA rated transformer to be safe. I'd guess the CL would draw about the same. None of the other Ampegs you mentioned would draw anywhere near that much. Not that 1kVA is much, I'm used to dealing with power distribution for 100 000 watt PAs....300kVA step downs and the like. Try pushing one of those buggers up a truck ramp... but I digress. Go for an older SVT!! They eat all other bass amps and spit out the p.c. boards:D:D:D:D
  3. cool, thanks for that! :) it's an older SVT i'm looking for ideally, depending on how much i can get one for. UGBM has one in "fair" condition for around $300USD, whatever "fair" means...and everything on eBay is getting too inflated!

any idea what spec trannies and (roughly) how much they'd run to convert an older SVT to 240v? (which would save me having to cart around a step-down)
  4. hey!
    If the amp works, or even if it doesn't and the transformers are good it's worth $300 US. I paid $800 for mine (1976 or so, mint condition). I don't know if they made SVTs that had 240V transformers in them, and I don't know if you can get them. Replacement transformers for the 120V SVTs tend to be rather pricey $200-300 for ones worth buying. Sorry I haven't been a lot of help here. Maybe some of the other guys would know. Psycho Bass Guy or Throbbinnut would be good bets here! Cheers