1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Current drum machine suggestions

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by ric426, Mar 14, 2008.

1. ric426

ric426 In my defense, I was left unsupervised. Supporting Member

Mar 27, 2002
    Southeast Michigan
    I really did search for drum machine info here, but didn't find anything up to date.
    I'm thinking of picking up a drum machine of some sort, mainly as a practicing tool. I don't anticipate doing any serious recording with it. I'd consider other units that have built in drum functions too, if the price is right and the other features would be useful to me.

Here are some of the features I'm looking for:
    1. Reasonably easy to program and a nice selection of preprogrammed patterns (some tasty Latin rhythms would be a big plus). In fact if there's a nice selection of patterns, I probably won't do much programming.
    2. Odd time signatures would be a plus.
    3. Decent drums sounds, but I don't need studio quality samples.
    4. Velocity sensitive would be nice but not mandatory.
    5. A used unit would be fine, but new is ok if it's reasonably priced.
    6. Simple outputs would be fine. Even a single output would work since this will mainly be a practice tool for when I get tired of listening to my metronome.

Do any of the multi-effects or modeling units have useful drum sections or are they pretty rudimental? (Yes, that was intentional....)

If there are some current threads that cover this stuff, feel free to point me there. I'm sure this topic has been discussed to death...

2. I use an SR-16, and I think it fits all the above. And there are tons and tons of them, so they're easy to find cheap/used.