Current manufactured Peavey Grinds...

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by sjleland, Nov 12, 2005.

1. sjleland

Nov 12, 2005
    I've heard stuff about the newly manufactured Peavey Grinds not being as good as they used to be. The reason is because I saw one at my local music store and tried it out and liked it. So i wanted to keep my eye on it and went back the the stores site of what in stock and it was gone, made sense because thre was another guy interested. So I figured I might order one, but wasnt sure if it would be the same. Any ideas?
  2. Aj*

Jun 14, 2005
    West Yorkshire, UK
    I prefer my Grind BXP to the Grind NTB that replaced it, better quality, better electronics and more versatile. Having said that, I'd say the new Grinds are still pretty good instruments for the money.
  3. ducaticarl

Oct 16, 2005
    Just last week I was at Daddy's and I tried out a Peavey Grind and was very impressed with the build quality and how low the action was and was VERY tempted to but it especially for the price $369 brand new ...but then I plugged it in and tried it out through a Hartke...and was saddly disappointed by the pickups...evidentally that is where they save the money it producing these..personally I would probally still buy it but would DEFINATELY plan on replacing the electronics with some EMG's the woods used in the guitar and the quality of the build rally are worth the money just too bad they went cheap with the electronics.
  4. The older model Peavey Grind was far superior to the current model. IIRC, p/j pickups that were very adaquite for anything I'd ever need, awesome body styling (whats with this scooped out portion now??) and it's not one of these fancy Korean neck-throughs so many manufacturers have out now. Honestly, if you like the Grind NTB, do yourself a favor and make sure you check out a Washburn Taurus. I find that bass superior to the Peavey in every way... and I'm a Peavey owner! :eek:

5. rok51

Sep 2, 2002
    Crawfordville, FL
    The original Grind, was a US made instrument. The Grind BXP and NTB are imports. The NTB has been changed to where the body is no longer 'scalloped' under its lower front portion. The wood quality, to my eye, appears better in its uniformness. Fret edges are still sharp. The bridge is now a 'finger-style' unit, rather than slab-style. Played well, but didn't plug it in. I am curious to see if Peavey has moved production out of Vietnam because of quality control issues...or just tightened up on the manufacturing.
  6. Vox Populi

Vox Populi Reggae Loving Honkey

Jan 27, 2004
    Poulsbo, WA
    Did they really do away with the scalloped bottom horn? That's too bad, it was great for popping.

I have a Grind NTB with that has the scalloped bottom horn, but is still new enough to have the individual saddle bridge. It's great. Could use some new pickups I guess. Any EMG-40 sized pickup will fit in it (including certain Bartolinis and Dingwalls).