1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Current most popular rock bands January 2018

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by two fingers, Jan 12, 2018.

1. Well, duh. Of course.

54 vote(s)
    37.8%
  2. Yes.

12 vote(s)
    8.4%
  3. Do you even have to ask? Yep.

19 vote(s)
    13.3%
  4. Indubitably

16 vote(s)
    11.2%
  5. Carrots.... And yes. It's gonna get ugly.

42 vote(s)
    29.4%
  1. two fingers

two fingers Opinionated blowhard. But not mad about it. Gold Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    So, I need to broaden my horizons. Also, I'm in the process of joining a couple of bands and (quite honestly) I like the idea of playing some brand new radio rock while I'm at it.

Edit to add: One of those bands is fronted by a female so don't forget the ladies.

If the ONLY thing you have to contribute is snarky then..... well..... OK I'll take that too. (That's what we do here, right? :D) Whatever. But try to avoid being so negative (another goal of mine this year).

I'm particularly interested in what you twenty somethings have to say on the subject. You are probably the most in touch and educated music fan generation ever. You grew up being able to find any music you ever wanted. Tell me what the masses (not just musicians) are listening to in rock music these days among people in your age group.

This is NOT a thread about YOUR FAVORITE current rock bands.

This is about my search for what is appealing to the masses in rock right this second. I'm just curious. I hope the bands are entertaining and enjoyable to me. But this is more research than anything. So if you can point me to factual information about the current top rock bands (even if you despise them) that would be great. Thanks.

The reasons I'm asking is because my quick and dirty search turned up Imagine Dragon as the top "rock" band right now. I'm listening to their top releases in order of popularity on Google Play as we speak. I find them interesting..... But not so much "rock". I'm not knocking them. I just find them to be more "edgy pop" than rock. So I hope my search turns up at least a few songs that are straight forward rock that has charted in the last year or so.

I'm going at this really open minded. Again, I don't even hate the Imagine Dragon I have heard so far. It's just a bit synth and sample heavy for the way these bands are being structured..... at present anyway. I want to play something new so badly I may even open the door to playing with tracks. That'd how much I want to get away from playing the same 45 songs everyone else does in a different order. But I still want to play HITS, not MY favorite music.

So, please, no arguments. Just point me in the direction of rock music that has appealed to the most humans (particularly here in the states) over the last year or two.

I'm forcing myself to stretch every aspect of my life this year. 2017 was a busy rut. And I want out of that rut. One can only play Journey and Skynard and Doobies and Beatles and Zep and Stones and GnR and Eagles for so many decades before it's time to add some new ingredients to the stew, ya know? I do fill in gigs these days for all kinds of bands. This is going to sound cocky but I rarely have more than half a dozen songs to learn for a gig because everyone pretty much pays the same thing. (Amd this goes for bkth country and pop/rock bands.) There's the female singer list and the male singer list. For 95% of set lists all I have to do is ask if any keys are not original keys from the recording. Maybe I have to learn a few different songs from the same artists.

So, to phrase the question another way....

If you were forming a ROCK band to appeal to the MOST people..... again, the MOST people.....not your people...... or the coolest people.... but the MOST people..... and you were only allowed to play songs from the last two years or so, what would you play?

Last edited: Jan 12, 2018
    Scootbass1, mikewalker and dbsfgyd1 like this.
  2. bassdude51

bassdude51 Supporting Member

Nov 1, 2008
    Central Ohio
    Umm, a Google search is saying that Cold Play is the most popular rock band right now.

Dunno.

Being an aging Baby Boomer..............I've never heard of 'em.

Here's a current top 20 most popular rock band list.............

1. Coldplay
    2. Twenty One Pilots
    3. The Beatles
    4. Linkin Park
    5. Red Hot Chili Peppers
    6. Panic! A The Disco
    7. Metallica
    8. Arctic Monkeys
    9. Queen
    10. Fall Out Boy
    11. Green Day
    12. AC/DC
    13. Pink Floyd
    14. Blink-182
    15. Paramore
    16. Guns N’ Roses
    17. Nirvana
    18. The Rolling Stones
    19. The 1975
    20. Kings of Leon

3. two fingers

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    I found that list. I'm looking for the newest, most popular rock bands or rock songs. Not the most popular of all time or the ones still played on the radio the most.

Half that list is played on the oldies stations these days. And of those bands half of the musicians/singers are dead. :cool:

So I'm sure they don't qualify for the kinds of songs I'm looking for.

bassdude51 likes this.
  4. bassdude51

bassdude51 Supporting Member

Nov 1, 2008
    Central Ohio
    Ahhh, I'm not defending my research info but I think the stupid Time.com website was/is saying these are the "right now" most popular bands.

But, I think I understand what you are saying and I totally agree with you.

As for current hot songs by so called "rock bands".................that shouldn't be too difficult to look up.

I'm not gonna look it up because that top 20 list already grossed me out!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The best music and bands are in small clubs and hole in the wall juke joints.

digmeout and two fingers like this.
  5. two fingers

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    I'm listening to Twenty One Pilots now and I'm finding the same thing. I don't hate it. But (other than the occasional outburst by th singer) I don't find it to be "rock".

I'm gonna have to dig deep in this one I think.

NeverDropTheBass and Lvjoebass like this.
  6. Jeff Haislip

Jeff Haislip

Sep 2, 2009
    I am really into Blackberry Smoke. They have been around for a number of years but just really getting popular in the last few. I really like their song writing and their playing. I also like Nickleback, and I am sure that will kick off some ridicule. :cool::cool:

7. Wood and Wire

Wood and Wire

Jul 15, 2017
    Well it certainly doesn't help that, sub genres like Emo, Goth, and Punk, bear no resemblance now, to the music that originally defined them (and not only do the fans dress differently than they did, they are often completely different personality types).

If I were in your situation, I would do some local market research, by regularly going to nightclubs on "Rock" night, and get a feel for what people are reacting to on the dance floor.

Talk to people there, about who the like. Ask the DJ's what's popular (rather than what they're trying to force down their throats).

Good luck.

smogg and two fingers like this.
  8. two fingers

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    Yeah I get it. For my purposes, sub genres don't matter. If it's a smash hit in ANY rock genre from them last couple of years I want to check it out. I'm sure the lines will get blurred between rock and pop, metal, hip-hop etc. That's OK. I'm actually OK with that. I would rather someone post a song (or band) even if they're not sure I would consider it "rock" or not.

9. Richland123

Richland123

Apr 17, 2009
    How about some Halestorm? These two songs were both #1 rock chart hits in 2015.

10. Funky Ghost

Funky Ghost Translucently Groovy

Well my 15 year old rocker of a daughter was into Skillet. They are tolerable in a very vanilla "me too" kinda rock vein. Not reinventing the wheel by any stretch but adhering to what works on radio. It pays the bills, ya know?

two fingers likes this.
  11. Richland123

Richland123

Apr 17, 2009
    I posted this new song on another current music thread recently.

Chart (2017–18)
    Peak position
    US Rock Airplay #7
    US Hot Rock Songs #9
    US Adult Top 40 #22
    US Adult Alternative Songs #1
    Switzerland #12
    Russia Airplay #36
    Poland #9
    Germany #2
    France #7
    Austria #3

12. Jebberz

Jebberz Supporting Member

Jul 3, 2012
    Quebec city
    I play in a cover band, and we play anything from Elvis to Bruno Mars, with a little emphasis on rock songs, and eighties songs. I'm amazed each time how younger patrons reacts to Bryan Adams, Bon Jovi and AC/DC... people in their 20ies just fill the dance floor and sing along, and react way more than when we play modern songs.

13. two fingers

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    I'm with you. And I don't want to reinvent the wheel. BUT, if there's a way to learn something new and fresh for my fingers, that also happens to be a chart topper, that's what I'm after. But, yeah, the majority of our sets will come from the first 40 or so pages of the Bar Band Hymnal. ;)

mikewalker and Lvjoebass like this.
  14. two fingers

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    OK, that kind of stuff could be fun to play!

15. two fingers

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    And I liked it last time too!

16. mikeyjm2

mikeyjm2 Keepin' it simple.

Dec 31, 2014
    Houston, TX
    I have to admit I'm a clueless 50 year old. So I'm watching this thread with interest. 21 Pilots and Panic At The Disco are a couple my daughter (17 year old) are listening to these days FWIW.

Engle, GrapeBass and two fingers like this.
  17. Richland123

Richland123

Apr 17, 2009
    How about this song that was a huge hit on rock and pop charts?

18. two fingers

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    I'm right behind you at 46. But my girls are only 6 and 9 so I can't pump them for rock music tips yet. :D

mikeyjm2 likes this.
  19. bassstrangler

bassstrangler

Mar 2, 2015
    AZ
    And she's Deuce Bigelow's daughter.

20. Richland123

Richland123

Apr 17, 2009
    This band and song are very new.