1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Current/new Fender bass neck profiles

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by descendent22, Feb 2, 2020.

1. descendent22

descendent22

Jul 29, 2015
    Connecticut
    Was at both Sam Ash and GC last week playing the new fender P bass and Jazz basses. Right Away I set them down. Did NOT like the feel of the necks.the felt wide and fat.Just were not comfortable. I prefer skinny jazz necks. I play 3 active deluxe p bass specials from 2008-2011. Those necks have a 1.5 nut width and are super skinny. I also sand off the clear coat so that makes hem more slim. Along with the 9.5 radius. So last year I bought a 2018 Active Deluxe p special. Had a 12 inch radius and the body was heavy and unbalanced. I got rid of that after a month. My whole point is, fender with these new neck profiles and radiuses in my opinion aren’t player friendly.i even picked up a stray and felt the same way.anyone else feel the same?

alanloomis1980 likes this.
  2. joel406

joel406

Dec 27, 2013
    Florida
    I’m guessing you are referring too the Ultra series?

If you are speaking of the “Ultra” series I wouldn’t be surprised. AnY active bass Fender makes I avoid.

However their passive line is second to none.

I had an American Standard 4 string that was pure magic.

Switching to five string I couldn’t find one my hands liked.

I took a leap of faith and ordered an American Pro fiver from Sweetwater and got lucky. Slim neck. Awesome pickups and that fantastic high mass bridge.

So I give the win to Fender on their pro series.

jamro217 and alanloomis1980 like this.
  3. The 'D' shaped neck with 10-14 compound radius and 1.625 nut width on New Ultra Precision makes stretching fretting fingers easier for those with smallish hands and very comfortable overall ; much more so than than just a smaller nut width. [ala Jazz Bass]. The playability is best I have experienced. Granted I played a 75 Precision at 1.75 nut, fat neck and over 11lbs for 25yrs but The Jazz neck size whether 7.25 or 9.5 Radius modern 'C' never felt fully comfortable to me even though I have smallish hands. I do understand the appeal of thin and skinny necks, played a friends 90's Jazz for a few months and once I adapted it was easy to play compared to my '75 and '01 Precisions but I still slightly preferred the overall feel of Precisions.[I had adapted]

The 'D' neck is wide at shoulders but skinny in the sense it puts your thumb closer to fretboard. My Takamine A/E has 1.77 nut and 16 radius and slim neck also is very easy and comfortable to play even with higher action.

I have noticed a lot of manufactures and boutique builders have been messing with their neck specs/types recently. Fender in a bad way for you but you seem very capable of getting things the way you want it with resources available. Time will tell how players respond to new neck types.

4. My main bass has a Jazz neck, modern C, 9.5” radius. My Dean acoustic has a 1 5/8” nut and a much thicker neck. I find if I’m playing it more than 30 minutes, I start to feel the fatigue. I know there’s players here that can pick up anything and go to town, but I want that J neck every time!

But whatever the specs, the neck is that je ne sais quoi that can make or break your connection to the instrument.

jamro217 and descendent22 like this.
  5. I prefer J necks, but I was testing amps the other day with an Am Pro P. That neck was absolutely fantastic!

jamro217 likes this.
  6. Jackcrow

Jackcrow Supporting Member

Jul 10, 2017
    North Dakota
    If you are looking for “thin” as in front to back depth, there are a a few Fenders I have found that have that:

American Special P Basses (the later ones like 2012 until they stopped making them). Most have neck thicknesses less than 0.8” at the first fret, which is what I would consider thin.

American Performer Jazz Bass - I’ve seen some measurements on these well below .8”

Player series precision basses - these vary a bit and a lot I have seen are around 0.82” or so, but I had one that was 0.78” so they are out there.

Geddy Lee sig Jazz Basses - the older CIJ or ridiculously thin, something like 0.75” or less. The MIM versions seems to hover in the 0.77” range. The us versions are quite a bit thicker. All of the ones I have seen are over 0.8”.

There are others as well that may be a bit harder to find. Some of the late 50s precision reissues were pretty thin front to back but have 1.75” nut width, if that matters.

The American Elites seem to have quite a bit of variance on both the Jazz and Precision’s as I have seen some in the 0.78” range all the way up to 0.85” or so.

Keep in mind these are all measurements at the first fret and almost all of them are about .10” thicker at the 12th fret.

Last edited: Feb 2, 2020
    mikewalker, jamro217 and JRA like this.
  7. I think Fender should just source preamps from somewhere like Aguilar.

bassclef04 and Leonid Nidis like this.
  8. descendent22

descendent22

Jul 29, 2015
    Connecticut
    What’s that have to do with a neck profile

punchclock and thetragichero like this.
  9. Malak the Mad

Malak the Mad Over the River and through the Looking Glass Supporting Member

Could you please be more specific? Neck specs can vary greatly between series and models. “Neck Profile” is a huge factor for me when I’m looking for basses or parts, so I’m always looking for solid information.

That being said, “comfort” and “ergonomics” are very relative and subjective terms. We’re all built differently and no, singular bass is a one-size-fits-all solution. So, knowing that you like very slim profiles is a great start should you be looking for suggestions.

However, if you’re just venting, go for it. We’re listening. :headphone:

a-37, punchclock and jamro217 like this.
  10. Doh! I apologize.

Speterc and Lucky Chuck like this.
  11. descendent22

descendent22

Jul 29, 2015
    Connecticut
    No,everyone else knows what I’m talking about so I’m good

Vooter likes this.
  12. Cutter8

Cutter8 Supporting Member

Feb 4, 2018
    Georgia
    Preamps that make necks feel slimmer... now that’s impressive!;)

Jackcrow likes this.
  13. yeah yeah whatever lol

Cutter8 likes this.
  14. Bass Buckaroo

Bass Buckaroo Gold Supporting Member

Jan 10, 2020
    I prefer chunky necks on a P but bought the Ultra and can only say the neck is a dream. It's butter.

15. Have you actually tried an ultra? IMHO they are great basses. Both the neck and the preamp are ultra nice. I’m going to buy one once I find a lightweight maple fingerboard jazz.

TrevorG and Bass Buckaroo like this.
  16. I actually prefer a bit o' chunk so I don't see it as a problem. I wish my Strats had a deep-C neck like on the American Pro Series. I'm glad they went to narrow tall frets too. Whenever I buy a replacement Strat/Jazzmaster neck from Warmoth I get the '59 profile as their standard necks are a bit too thin for me.

17. Mediocrity Man

Mediocrity Man Master of Mediocrity Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2014
    Wantage, New Jersey
    Yes, just noodled around with an Ultra P/J and the neck was very nice. Also had a satin finish which I prefer.

18. Wolfhound32

Wolfhound32

Sep 10, 2013
    WA State
    I've yet to find a new Fender bass in MANY years that has a "wide/fat" neck-- and I've tried. Even the latest Steve Harris P-bass is far from being the advertised "U" shape. Granted, I've not played many custom shop models, but I don't think that's what the OP is talking about.

We're talking 4-strings, right?

The last full 1 3/4" fat Fender P-neck I've found was from the early 1970s... I'm sure they're out there, but I've not found one. However, there are some really nice aftermarket necks, but those aren't "Fender" technically.

Funny how extremely different our perceptions of "comfortable" can be :)

If you'd really like to explore the world of Fender basses, try adapting your perspective to the situation; approach the specific instrument as unique, then see if you can enjoy what it has to offer. For example, if you're favorite flavor ice cream is strawberry, you wouldn't want every other flavor to taste like strawberry-- right?

Best of luck in your search!

19. jamro217

jamro217 Supporting Member

< In post #11 you state that everybody knows what you're talking about. The original post was #1. Posts 7, 8 and 10 were unrelated to the topic. There was some ambiguity as to why you were unhappy with the necks and in post #9 Malak The Mad posed his question. That doesn't leave sufficient input from the rest of the TB community to substantiate your claim as brought forth in post #11. <This is a service to those of you who haven't had to listen to enough of this sort of thing recently. :roflmao:

I don't think the problem is one of the various shapes and sizes of necks as it is not labelling them and explaining them correctly. When you buy shoes the size and width are clearly marked on the shoe as well as the outside of the box. Shirts have collar size and sleeve lengths right on the tag. Bass necks should have that, too. On the hang tag as well as a sticker on the pickguard plastic sheet. Fender has a code for neck widths at the nut: A=1.5", B=1.625", C=1.75". They also have shape designations: C, U, V and D. When you grab a bass off the wall at a shop there's no telling what size neck it has or how it will feel to you until you try it out. Hmmm...maybe that's why they don't include that info. "Hey, Sid, look at that silver P! You'd look great with that!" "Nah, it's got a C neck. Says so on the tag." :eyebrow:

20. descendent22

descendent22

Jul 29, 2015
    Connecticut
    Go to another page dude. I’m asking for differences of opinions.no one likes the kind of people who are know it alls and come on these pages just to find something wrong in conversations and shooting out random technical facts. Who cares about the shapes and nut widths. I’m asking something as simple as whether people like the new neck profiles. I can tell you probably been kicked out of a few bands