1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Current P-bass body w/Square neck pocket??

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by telepbrman, Apr 21, 2009.

1. telepbrman

telepbrman

Dec 11, 2007
    I have an extra 51 P-bass RI neck, and as you all know, it has a square heel...I'd like to put it on a modern P-bass body, which has a rounded neck pocket. So, I'm thinking of buying a modern body with a square neck pocket, but can't find one. Any scoop would be great...Or, should I just square off a modern's neck pocket with a set of chisels? I'm into the Tim Bogert and Billy Talbot look, thanks, dy.

2. BillyRay

BillyRay Supporting Member

Jan 20, 2008
    Quebec
    I think you can buy bodies from Warmoth that have no neck pocket routed. Shop around for a machine shop that would be willing to route one for you. I know that Warmoth states that they don't do square heels.

That or buy a body blank and go at it if you have the right tools.

3. First, I would put the neck in the body at it's most rearwar position and measure the length from the 12th fret to the G bridge saddle and see what the difference is. If it is OK then I would make a wooden filler piece and fill the gap and try that for awhile and see if you are happy with it. The filler could be hidden with a custom pickgurd if necessary. If the neck needs to set deeper into the body, then you could route out the necessary body wood.