Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Current preferences of the Music Schools under consideration

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [DB]' started by pedro, Nov 23, 2004.

1. pedro

pedro

Apr 5, 2000
    Madison, WI.
    Up until now, I have not been able to get my son to give a preference of the schools we've visited. But as we worked on the NEC application yesterday, one of the questions asked for a list of other schools that were being applied for and the order of preference and this was his response:

Berklee
    Manhattan School of Music
    University of North Texas
    New England Conservatory
    Indiana University

My wife's preferences are:

NEC
    Manhattan School of Music
    Indiana U
    North Texas
    Berklee

My preferences:

MSM/NEC (neck and neck)
    Berklee
    UNT
    Indiana U

There are good and bad things about each. Here are some of our concerns. I would be most interested in your comments and remarks.

* My wife's concern about Berklee (aside from the kids out front with the purple hair smoking cigarettes), is that the open admission policy, combined with my son's rather laid back personality could leave him in with some ensembles and classes with some very marginal musicians. (I share some of her concerns.)

* My problem with Berklee is the lack of any 'classical' instruction. I'm quite sure we could contract privately with any of a dozen great classical players from the BSO, etc. but that's a separate expense. Never the less, I still like the program (for him) as it seems the most open to 'all' kinds of music.

* UNT requires its jazz student to take 'classical instruction' (which is good) however, students take their private lessons from a 'teaching fellow' rather than the professor - at least at first. And of course there is the 'Denton' issue to contend with.

* MSM has excellent classical and jazz instructors but doesn't really allow a student to pursue both. I also fear that this school would definitely be a 'deep water' experience for Alex. I'm making an educated guess that the student body at MSM is going to be a bit 'cut-throat' and I'm not sure how he'll react to that.

* Indiana U is a good school but as best as I can tell all 'instrument' instruction is 'classical' in nature. In other words, there are no jazz bass instructors, and while Mr. Hurst and Mr Bransby are well reknown I believe most of their success is in placing students into symphony orchestras. Lets not forget 'Bloomington' issue either.

Comments? Suggestions?

2. Ed Fuqua

Ed Fuqua

Dec 13, 1999
    NYC
    Chuck Sher publishes my book, WALKING BASSICS:The Fundamentals of Jazz Bass Playing.
    Don't forget about Mannes/New School, they've got a great jazz program, they're in NYC, they basically allow you to take private lessons with just about anybody who'll give them to you (which can be a problem for somebody who gets Kenny Barron to agree to give them private lessons, he can be out on tour for awhile and you still have to come up with the hours to get the credits somehow). Mike Savino came out of that program (he posts here under Savino), maybe talk to him?

3. pedro

pedro

Apr 5, 2000
    Madison, WI.
    Ed we visited New School. However its my understanding that the school offers no classical at all. Mannes doesn't offer jazz or pop or anything but classical. Great location though.