Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Current used price on the Berg HT112?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Jerry J, Nov 24, 2002.

1. Jerry J

Jerry J Supporting Member

Mar 27, 2000
    P-town, OR
    I sure haven't seen many of these showing up on the used market. There much be a reason.

Does anyone know what the going price is on a used Bergantino HT112? I seem to remember that the street price for this cab is something like $550.

I've done a comparison between the Bergantino 12 and the Aguilar 12. I preferred the Bergantino. Has anyone compared the Bergantino and the Epifani 12?

2. low freak

low freak Guest

Nov 7, 2002
    Houston, TX
    The Bergantino is a nice choice for a 12 inch cabinet. I found one used at Atlanta Discount Music (770-457-3400) for $399. I got great service from Bill Erwin on the deal. I have not had the pleasure of playing the Epiphani, but was able to compare against the Aguilas GS112 at Rockin Robin's in Houston. Both are excellent cabinets. I am amazed at how far bass equipment has come in the last 10 years.
    Happy hunting..

3. low freak

low freak Guest

Nov 7, 2002
    Houston, TX
    The Bergantino is a nice choice for a 12 inch cabinet. I found one used at Atlanta Discount Music (770-457-3400) for $399. I got great service from Bill Erwin on the deal. I have not had the pleasure of playing the Epiphani, but was able to compare against the Aguilas GS112 at Rockin Robin's in Houston. Both are excellent cabinets. I am amazed at how far bass equipment has come in the last 10 years.
    Happy hunting..

4. iammr2

iammr2

Jun 10, 2002
    Tejas
    I compared the Berg, Epi, and Aggie 12's the old fashion way. Lined the three of them up next to each other and never changed the settings on the bass or the amp. The amp was set flat. Bass was a Sting Sig and the amp was an Aguilar DB359.

The Berg was first. This thing was weak. Didn't seem to have any bottom end to it at all. Highs and mids were there and smooth but this cab had no oomph. Farted out quickly and easily. What's all the hype about?

Epi was next. Had a smooth rich tone through and through. Lots of bottom end and the highs were present but not harsh. Very clear sound. Good volume also. This would be great for studio and rehearsals. Sign me up.

There are two basic sounds I tend to use. One is the clear deep tone like the Epi above has and the other is the deep, crunchy and punchy tone like an old SVT. The Aggie has the crunchy and punchy tone I speak of, in spades. Deep but not as much as the Epi. Highs weren't as smooth as the Epi, but they are there. Seems to have more low mid/mid tone. Should cut through the mix rather well. This one was the best at handling the power. Sign me up for this one too.

I played each cab a few times and kept things on an "all things being equal basis". For me, the Berg was out of the running quickly. You'd have to have either another cab or more power for it to keep up with the Epi or Aggie. Maybe I should've put more power to it but why pay a premium price for a piece of equipment and have to spend even more just to use it?

Remember, these are just opinions and have all the value of the south end of a northbound horse.

5. Jerry J

Mar 27, 2000
    P-town, OR
    Thanks so much for the rundown on these. I actually found the opposite when I A/B'd the Aggie and the Berg 12's. I was using an EBS HD 350 and I found the Berg cab louder and fuller and of course clearer sounding. Kinda odd that we should find the complete inverse. The Aguilar cab is much cheaper and seems to be the bigger seller in this arena.

I will make an effort to compare them again before I make a jump to one. Did you get to try these out at Larry Morgan's? The reason I ask is that Marcus seems to be real big on the Bergantino's.

Low Freq~ thanks for the pricing. That was kinda what I figured which seems a bit on the high side. But the Bergantino cabs seem to sell pretty easily.

6. bben

bben

Feb 28, 2002
    Santa Fe, NM
    I have a pair each of Epifani and Bergantino 112s. They sound best in pairs. Used two at at time, the Bergantinos are very smooth (great tweeter) and clean sounding. The Epifanis have monster low end. Either pair likes a big amp - I use a Stewart 1.2.

When used alone, the Epifani has quite a bit more bottom end. When using one cab, I use either an Epifani or my Bergantino EX112 (without tweeter) with a GK700RB for a small carry-around-rig. (I found myself turning the tweeters down quite a bit when using any of these cabs by themselves with the GK, that's why I started using the EX112.)

The Bergantino cab is noticeably easier for me to carry around with one hand than the Epifani.

I don't think you can go wrong with either of these. I don't really need both pairs but haven't been able to decide which to sell and which to keep, I like 'em both.

7. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    i love my Berg. has more than enough low end for me.

but i do love the Epi 1x12 too. similar to the Aggie's low end molasses, but with waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay nicer top end. the Aggie almost seems muffled in comparison.

8. Jerry J

Mar 27, 2000
    P-town, OR
    Great question, Daniel. ;)

9. bben

bben

Feb 28, 2002
    Santa Fe, NM
    I'm curious about the EA CXL112, too, but live out in the sticks and haven't heard one.

FWIW, a Bergantino 112 on top of an Epifani 112 works just fine. Kicks almost as much butt as the pair of Epifanis but has some of the smooth sound of the Bergantino in there, too. The Epifani is a bit more efficient than the Bergantino, but you can run both in parallel from the same amp no problem. The biggest downside is that the cabs are totally different sizes so you can only match up one corner and you have to be careful not to jostle the stack.